mk2 8v engine mounts

Discussion in 'Engines' started by matrix, Apr 18, 2005.

1. matrix Forum Member

right ive wondered this for a long time why you get a lot of slack like when in traffic it gets a bit jerky well a lot really so if youve got your foot on the gas let off then floor it again why does mine feel like the engine is moving a lot.

and by the way i replaced the front mount and rear mount yesterday so either the mounts from gsf are poo or its somehting else also since fitting the front mount i get a nasty vibrating noise which i can feel aswell at 3.5 rpm im thinking of putting my old one back in.

someone enlighten me on this subject because im sure they dont roll out the factory driving like this and ive had enough of replacing things for nothing i wouldent mind cutting my hands to pieces if the dam thing run better but when its no different [:x]

anyway as u can see it got me fecked off im thinking of putting it into a compactor[xx(]

2. gazman Forum Member

Calm down. Mine was the same. If you got a cheap front engine mount from gsf they are poo. What also makes it jerky if all engine mounts are fine is vacuum leaks. A split induction hose make it real jerky along with the engine not being set up properly. Throttle switch, blue temp sensor and isv will effect this jerky movement(if they are faulty).
    If a mount has gone. Get someone to sit in the car in first gear lifting the clutch up and down onto the clutch bite, while someone looks at the movement of the engine. If it moves alot then you know, if not then its probably something i said before.

3. matrix Forum Member

hi there thx for the reply

i got a mate to look at the engine for me while i did the first gear thing he said there was quite a bit of movement even after i put the new engine mounts in, ive driven a few 8v golfs and some of them felt really tight no movement so im clueless as to what it is so you think it might be gsf parts not being up to the job then ive checked all the hoses no splits or leaks i know what you u mean when u say that could cause it but thats a diffefent kind of movement more like when the car bucks.

u can feel it more in the lower gears sorry if im not making much sense im in a rush.

4. gazman Forum Member

No your making perfect sense. Mine is doing it at the moment but since the rings are getting done in the next couple of weeks im gunna have a real good look at the problem. Have you changed the rear engine mount behind the manifolds or is it the gearbox?

5. Carl loader Forum Member

Alright guys, i'm havin this same problem on my 1990 8v digi golf. I've so far replaced front and rear engine mounts (not gearbox mount), and had the mixture and idle set properly, but car is still bucking a bit, especially in lower gears. Like matrix said, surely it didn't come out of the factory like that, but do you reckon it could be to do with the throttle switches, blue temp sender and idle valve gazman?

6. GreeneyMk2 New Member

Looks like this is common problem, my 1992 mk2 8v does it too, just as you describe matrix. Was thinking engine mounts, but after reading this and speaking to others it sounds like it could be all sorts. Let us know if you get ever work it out.

When I rang for quote on mounts from my local gsf even the bloke working their said not to bother with their own 8v front mount (!) but to try and use their 16v part...

7. Carl loader Forum Member

I've not had any problem with my engine mounts, at least i don't think. I bought a front engine mount from gsf and it was an original vw part. The rear is also vw. I still have the gearbox mount to do, but i can't see that causing that much jerkiness.

Hey Greeny mk2, do you find your golf bucks and jumps when you come completely off, or start to apply the throttle. This is what mine does, but if i've already got my foot on the throttle, then apply it more, it won't buck or jump at all, smooth as silk actually. This is what makes me think its not the engine mounts, but possibly something to do with the fuel injection system.

It seams like when you apply throttle from idle, the engine suddenly jumps into life, not smoothly like it should, as if the engine is suddenly bombarded with fuel, making it buck, then when releasing the throttle, the fuel is suddenly cut making the engine buck again. i also notice that when letting the engine idle while looking under the bonnet, if i rev it from the throttle arm, there is a slight hesitation from the engine, then it revs, but again won't hesitate if you rev it higher. I don't know this for sure as im not a car mechanic but does anyone else think it could be a fuel injection problem? Its really pi@#*%g me off and i am almost tempted to sell the car [:x]

8. iow_golfgti Forum Member

carl loader i think you need to set your idle properly and just keep fiddling with it untill u can rev the engine from the throttle with a single big rev & it will fall back to idle smoothly once idle is set coz my 89" 8 valver had the same and felt looked as if it would nearly die when reved hard from throttle! so just by fiddling with idle it hs defo smoothened engine out, but mine knocks and jumps still when used to whack it in second gear from idle so now just push throttle gently then let rip seems to not do it then!

9. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers iow_golfgti, i just wish i could get it perfect [:^(] .
    So by just having the idle speed not right can make the engine buck and jump, on and off the throttle, but not when already on the throttle?

10. gazman Forum Member

Personally these problems are caused by the throttle switch. When the switch opens slightly it sends a signal back to the ecu. One why to tell is: does the idle creep up or stick above a 1000rpm. This will definatly give you a jerky feeling.
    If its a mount you can go along the road in say 2nd gear slam your foot on the accelerator and if you hear a hard knock its a mount.
    Last sugestion is the ignition timing. If the timings out then this will cause it.
    I let you know what happens when i put a new throttle switch on mine.
    I got use to it now but does pi*s me off!

11. iow_golfgti Forum Member

gaz pm me when you've fitted it mate cheers andy

12. Carl loader Forum Member

Let us know what difference it makes Gaz, i'm gaggin to know!

When you say 'does the idle creep up or stick above a 1000rpm. This will definatly give you a jerky feeling', do you mean when you apply initial throttle, does it suddenly jump to about 1000rpm? If so, this is what mine is doing

13. matrix Forum Member

the gearbox mount is the only 1 i havent done but im sure just 1 mount can give that much play also ive just put a new head on so i think the timing could need attention but on the other hand i bought a mk2 8v golf b4 that run like a bag of crap but never felt like this one seemed a little tighter.

thx for all the replysi will keep scratching my head on this prob but theres too many factors like having gsf parts instead of original also not having done the gearbox mount.

looks like ive got to start over with original parts $$$$$$$$$$$

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Buy the 'best quality' ones if you use GSF, and get a solid front mount, IMHO.

I bought the equivalent bits from Euro Car Parts (16v/TD front mount) and it's fine with a 2.0...shame the engine blew up [:^(] but it's nothing to do with the mounts!!

15. GreeneyMk2 New Member

yeah Carl it does buck when applying/taking off throttle. The idle creeps to about 1300 in traffic so maybe the throttle switch as gazman says?

I also get this "clunking" noise when pressing the throttle, seems to go away once the engine's been on for 30 mins or so. I thought it was a mount but I've taken it to a few places and they can't seem to work it out.

16. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Make sure you do the gearbox mount too if you havent already, its silly not to really! Make sure you get a solid mount as fitted to the 16v/1.3.

17. dan98 Forum Member

Hi All, (I dont say much around here)

I had this problem for literally years on my 8V digi, before i finally got it
    sorted by Dynotune.
    The car would jerk inbetween coming on and off the throttle at any speed.
    I too changed all 3 of the engine mounts and also CV joints and
    numerous other parts. (BTW the Vibratechnics front mount is far tighter
    than anything else i've tried)
    I also have had the engine tuned to 'perfection' various times with no joy.
    I even changed the ECU and chipped it - this made it run smoother at
    higher revs but didnt fix it either.
    What fixed it was to completely clean out the throttle body, and
    DISCONNECT the throttle switch. I guess this indicates the switch is worn
    or faulty (apparently very common on this model), but apparently its not
    really neccessary anyway.
    The car drives perfect now, what with all the other fixes i've done over
    time, it almost drives like new even with 160k on the clock.
    Hope that helps,
    Dan

18. Carl loader Forum Member

Alright Dan

When you had this problem with yours, did you also find that sometimes (can't figure out exact situation though) the engine would drop below its normal idle speed after reving it, then rising up to a normal level? My idle seems to dip a bit low , then coming up to normal speed, and it makes the whole car shudder. And while it does this, the engine will jerk when you rev it.
    Really f@#cks me off when it happens [:x]

I did try disconnecting my throttle switch, and yes it did run alot better, but i was a bit worried about there being no overun fuel cut off. Did you find you had to reset the idle speed after doin this as mine did idle quite a bit higher with throttle switch disconnected

19. dan98 Forum Member

Carl,

No i never had that problem with the revs dipping like that. The "Idle Stabilisation Valve" is kicking in to prevent the car from stalling when that happens - that really indicates a different problem. Sounds like it needs a PROPER good tune up to get to the bottom of this(ie not just a regular service check). Just an hour or so at an independant tuner should do it.
    Note that my problem was there 100% of the time, not just intermittently.

Dont worry about the overrun cutoff, I've been running mine for months now with no problems at all, and no noticeable increase in MPG. Dynotune really know what they are doing, and advised me not to bother with it. I may be right in thinking the old K-jet didnt have one at all, just the digi was given one for emissions control?

You're right about the idle speed - it needs resetting without the switch, dont worry its cool to run it this way. [:D]
    Dan

20. matrix Forum Member

after a bit of thought i think its mainly to do with the throttle switches as well i dont think you could ever get mounts that stop all the play in the engine i tried it the other day just lightly coming on and off the throttle and u can feel the engine not smoothly delivering the power but after the switch has done its bit it is smooth i think its a abd design so this is why they call it digipants instead of digifant

is there anyone here with kjet or another type with the same prob if not then thats the prob then digis are poo.