MK2 8v Engine swap Question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Onkle, Aug 23, 2008.

1. Onkle New Member

Hi Lads.... I'm putting a 90 spec digifant engine into my 86 K-jet MK2

Would this cause any issues or should I use the K-Jet fuel injection system instead of the digifant?

2. ev nutter Forum Member

90 spec harness is the first thing there will be more pick up for dizzy ive heard mentioned

3. nealey Forum Junkie

Ive never done it and this is an educated guess here but should imagine you will need a fair few bits off your old engine if you are going to keep it k jet

Things such as the k jet head and dizzy as well as the wiring loom will need to be used still

As for converting to digi then you will need airbox, loom, fuel lines and possibly more to start with

4. mk28vICED Forum Member

why would be my first question?
    sway a 1.8 8v kjet for 1.8 8v digi? both gti's?
    there is not much difference so why the hassle with electronic fuel injection? more to go wrong and more tuning required in my book.
    or have you blown the kjet and got a pb laying around?

5. Mike_H Forum Addict

Use the Kjet, swap the injector inserts in the head and all the Kjet fuelling stuff, swap the dizzy, and if it's a hydraulic tappet Kjet car, swap the cam.

6. mk28vICED Forum Member

are the kjet block and head usable as digi units??

7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Basically yes, but they'll run better on Kjet if it's set up properly.

8. Onkle New Member

Well basically I have an 86(k-jet) with a dead engine. I have a digifant engine in my shed (proved working and with around 70,000 miles on it) and I want to fit this engine into the car. I wasn't sure wether to fit the whole digi system or to go with the k-jet. I also have a full working 90 spec with digi that I can strip of any parts, the body on the car isn't great so I'm gonna break it.

So the consensus would be just to remove the digi injectors and fit the k-jet injectors in?

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

unless you feel like chiopping & splicing wiring or converting the whole car to 90spec, easiest way to go is to co0nvert the digi block to k-jet how mike said :)
    There isnt any advantage running the digi lump on digi, arguably the k-jet system feels much better anyway!