Mk2 8V silicon hoses on a mk1

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by M7R, Dec 8, 2007.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I asked about this a few weeks back and no one knew for sure so i thought sod it ill order them and find out.... well they do fit!!!!

the pipe from the water pump to the take off on the blcok fits straight on.

[​IMG]

the bottom hose requires a smidge, maybe 7mm tops trimming off the end that attaches to the rad an then that fits with out too much hassle, the curves arent 100% correct but they are near as makes no differance.

[​IMG]

Now the top hose.... this requires some attention...

[​IMG]

as you can see its a bit too long, BUT fear not, all i plan to do is chop the middle out and use a piece of pipe to join the 2 bits back together. after a quick measure up I just need t find some thin wall pipe with a external diamter of ~38-40mm upto now BQ have some copper pipe thats spot on... but it only comes in 3m lengths at 18! I only need about 50mm or so. or there is some plastic central heating pipe thats correct but I dont know if it will be fine to clamp too.. :dontknow: i need to think about this one a little more.

There are a few left over hoses from the mk2 8v set that arent used to one will be cut down to make the joint between the water pump and the metal pipe that runs along the block front.

Once these are combined with the mk1 ancilliary hose set you have a fully siliconed up'd mk1 for under 70 or soo.

Hope this has been of help.

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

I take it the mk1's were out of stock?

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

they were from venair - http://www.venair.com/?lang=en as they were 75% off and they dont do a mk1 8v kit, but do do a mk2 8v kit. i asked around and some said it might work, others said not but no one knew for sure, so i thought sod it for the sake of 40 id find out.

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Good job there for only 40

5. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

If you`d fitted the top hose the other way round it would have been perfect! Doh! [:s]

And why yellow? [xx(]

6. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

thats the correct way for the top hose, as it slopes up to meet the rad.

all fitted now, used a 32mm waste trap extension from B&Q, chopped to size. then double hose clips to be safe so i didnt have to go too tight on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

other that that the mk2 hoses fit fine, done all the ancilliary hoses too and been for a drive.

And yep, yellow as everyone has blue so i wanted to be different as I aways am.

7. t'mill Forum Member

Nowt wrong with yellow at all. I plumped for red hoses when i ordered my Venair's as i thought whilst i'm paying for the them why order black? Blue wouldn't match anything on my black car and the red matches the red bumper stickers, side stickers, grille surround and seat pattern.

Looks good there mate and top neat job on getting the top hose to fit :thumbup:

8. lufbramatt Forum Member

looks good!

ive got a load of 35 and 40mm 316 stainless steel tube here at work, we cut bits off to send to people as samples, I can send you a bit if you want rather than use the plastic pipe?

i wouldnt trust PVC pipe to hold pressure tbh, its not designed for it.

pm me if you want a bit :)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  9. lufbramatt Forum Member

have you had a go with the bits of stainless i sent up? did they work ok? :)

10. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

not yet, been snowed under with uni work and such like, tomorrow is ear marked for golf work, even though i now have man flu, Ive got to get a new middle pipe made in the morning and then im hoping to have it all rebuilt and running tomorrow....with stainles pipe.

11. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Well I finally managed to get time to put the stainless pipe in the top hose, the 35mm fitted like a dream! I cut the two elbows a little smaller and thats it.

Ill post a pick up in a bit, cheers for the sample Matt, I owe you some beer tokens :thumbup: