Mk2 8V which suspension?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mazza, Nov 5, 2003.

1. mazza New Member

Hi there,

I am new to the forum, i have a mk2 8v 1991 and want to replace the shocks and springs as they are leaking.

I don't want to lose the ride quality so I am considering standard replacement 8v setup or also 16v shocks and springs, if I go for the 16v suspension will it handle better and will the ride be that much harsher?

Also have been told that the Weitec kit which lowers by 20mm is good, any comments?

Any help would be appreciated [:^:]

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

well the best IMO is koni adjustable shocks and eibach springs...a mate has this set up on his 8v mkII and its perfection. the damping is adjustable so you can set it to your own requirments. but you are lookin at towards 500 (with new top mounts and bump stops).

3. RoyF18 Forum Member

If you want to keep the ride quality but also want the handling to improve considerably then you could do a lot worse than buying Koni top adjustable shocks and Eibach progressive springs. It'll only lower by about 30mm but makes a huge difference.

4. mazza New Member

So if i go for Koni adjustables and eibach springs 30mm you are saying that the ride quality will remain the same but my handling will be improved?

5. damogti Forum Junkie

The shocks are adjustable so you can adjust the stiffness of them. Ride quality is supposted to be BETTER than standard!!!! [8D]

6. VR6Will Forum Member

look at my sig pic, thats koni TA shocks with eibach springs, also have bonrath front lowering caps, it was on 17s with absolutely no scrubbage,

ride quality better than standard? well depends if you like it stiffer or not, handling certainly is,

7. VR6Will Forum Member

that was also with no arch mods

8. Admin Guest

go for koni's and eibach setup [8D]

9. mazza New Member

Thanks for the advice, my budget wont go up to Koni money so think I will go for 16V springs with Boge turbo gas shocks, that way it will not be too low when i go over all the speed ramps in my area and should have reasonable handling, what do you guys think, has anyone got Boge shocks on their car?

Cheers

10. AndrewD Forum Member

Mate at work has just gone for Eibach springs with Boge Turbogas dampers on his Mk2 16v. Also fitted new strut-top mounts (front and rear) and bump stops.

Car feels fantastic .. the Eibachs work surprisingly well with the Boge dampers. Worth the extra few squid for the Eibachs methinks, top quality progressive springs. :)

A

11. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Or go for some Fk's (shocks&springs), which are about 180.

Very very good. :)

12. mazza New Member

Are the Boges inserts or do you get the strut as well?

13. smithy Forum Member

-
    Edited by: smithy

14. smithy Forum Member

You get struts in the boge kit from GSF, but that includes springs.

GSF dont seems list the Boge Dampers as a complete strut for GTi models seperately though, only as an insert, they do list them for all other mk2 models though... and ECP just list the complete boge struts for "G2" - are they just all the same anyway? or are GTi ones uprated?

15. mazza New Member

Smithy,

I like the stance of your golf, how much have you lowered it?