MK2 ABF Airbox Choices

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Willber, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Willber Forum Member

Need an airbox for my MK2 ABF.

I understand some Toledo ones will fit, as do some Ibiza's? and also Corrado ones too? Can anyone please confirm which bits I need exactly? I have the pipe from TB on the ABF and thats it. Is there a MAF on the airbox like my MK2 pb had?

I need one quick and if needs be I will run an open cone with heatshield round it. What happens to the plugs/piping from the std airbox if I run an open cone? Or is it a bad idea in general?

Cheers :thumbup:

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

I believe the ABF'd Seat ones are a good choice, as are Mk2 GTD airboxes, but they're a bit more rare. There's no MAF / Flap on either of those. I guess VR6 Corrados might do what you want, but the earlier KEJet cars will be no good to you.

3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

It is now very hard to find either SEAT or GTD airbox due to the popularity of ABF conversions... I blame Herr Ventil :lol:
    I use a Corrado VR6 airbox, modified to fit (MAF section removed)

4. Willber Forum Member

Mike_H has hooked me up with an Ibiza airbox all being well! Struck lucky there. Not a lot on eBay, probably due to demand as you say.

I guess Toyotec's mods can work well on this airbox too?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

some MK2 and SEAT ibiza/toledo SPI airboxes work too, as do MK2/SEAT diesel and SEAT ibiza/toledo ABF. the toledo ones are the best fitting ones as they have the same chassis leg fitment, the ibiza one fits but the holes on the inner wing dont line up 100%.

main thing with the SPI/diesel box is it has no inlet temp sensor hole, so extend the wiring for this and stuff it into the inlet hole on the front of the airbox :thumbup:

stevencooke likes this.
  6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

.. or get your drill out

7. Willber Forum Member

Mike_H had provisionally sold the Ibiza one so that has fallen through, I have contacted a guy about another one though.

Otherwise if I can't get hold of a proper airbox, can I run an open cone for the time being?

8. Pluginz Forum Member

Hello mate.

Not sure whether this helps but I managed to get a Seat ADL airbox and just chopped up a Mk3 ABF airbox to fit the flange and air temp sensor, like this

[​IMG][/IMG]

Theres many ways and options out there :)

Bazza

9. Willber Forum Member

Hmm, at this rate I might just hack up the MK3 one to make it fit! Really need to take a better look rather than tossing around on here haha. Any tips for butchering MK3 or will it become apparent once I've had a look?

10. Pluginz Forum Member

Mk3 box will defo not fit because its way too wide. They must go for pretty cheap though I reckon.

Try and find an airbox close and mod it using mk3 flange and air temp sensor casing.
    Mk3 Air temp sensor case and idle valve flange cut out easy. Just a case of drilling nice holes in new airbox, araldite and seat them nice.

That was the best cheapest option for me, could not find a proper ABF airbox either :)

11. Willber Forum Member

I already have the MK3 box as I had a full MK3 16v, if I can hack the side off and make it narrower so it fits then I'll do that. Worth a try seeing as I've got it sitting around anyway!

12. Neal H Forum Member

Corrado VR6 boxes fit in a MK2. They do occasionally come up.

13. Willber Forum Member

I'm going to build an enclosure around the Pipercross induction kit I have on it at the moment. Anyone got any suggestions of best place to run a cold air feed from? I was thinking from the fog-light perhaps but unsure about water etc being sucked into it.

Is the side of the wing the best place or should I knock out that weird pressed hole thing in the bottom of the chassis leg?

14. Pluginz Forum Member

15. Pluginz Forum Member

Then you could do this. I used an 8v Inlet hose into the front light plastic mould, not sure if your car still has this part.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Willber Forum Member

Nice one thanks for that, I will consider it if I have a mare trying to make an aluminium enclosure for my open cone tonight! I do not have that light casing still but could find a way round it :)

17. steve r

steve r Forum Member

SWG do an intake that connects to the lower spoiler cutout and feeds it to the hole where the carbon canister would sit (knock out the infill)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'You are looking at another new SWG product for the Mk2 Golf.
    This item is designed to feed cold air from the lower big bumper front spoiler up into the engine bay.
    Because of its unique design it attaches onto the back of the original spoiler it will still allow the foglights to be kept in there original position and so integrates perfectly into the front end keeping a very O.E appearence
    The top part of the C.A.I system bolts into the front chassis leg through a hole where the carbon canister fits , this will require removal if you have one fitted.
    This new set up is ideal to get the much needed cold air supply to either the standard air box or an aftermarket cone filter etc.

Note: If your car is not fitted with a carbon canister the chances are you will need to remove the plate in the chassis leg that shrowds the hole where it would normally fit).
    code number : Golf 2 C.A.I. ' 44.95

18. Willber Forum Member

Thanks for that, I had looked at their fog light duct earlier.

I actually posted on your build thread as I liked the way you had made a cardboard shroud/heatshield.

I have a sheet of aluminium which I am going to use to do something similar. The way you had angled part of it to allow airflow from the grill is a good idea but I think there may not be enough room as my oil cooler is around there.

I will have a look tonight :)

19. Willber Forum Member

OK so I had a mess about making a cardboard template to enclose the air filter last night, here's how it's going to look:

View from above:

[​IMG]

Trying to close all the gaps!

[​IMG]

Routing of airflow:

[​IMG]

It should work pretty well as far as I can see, certainly a lot better than it is now. I am going to get some rubber edging strip to put all the way around the edges so that it is a nice tight tolerance fit.

I am going to make it so that the enclosure is placed in first with the filter removed, then drop the filter in and will have a small infill piece to drop on top of the air filter pipe when in place - if that makes sense?!

One question, can I remove the fog light and run a duct from there into the wing and through the cut-out for the carbon canister? Will this mean it will fail the MOT?

Cheers :)

20. KristianBG New Member

I am late for the party ,but for the future readers , we can add Polo Classic 3 (1.9 sdi,1.6 75hp etc - filter : 275x185mm) , same filter airbox as the seat ones .