Mk2 ABF fuel pump options?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by GG., Feb 4, 2014.

1. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Hi,

Long story short: I'm putting in an ABF in my mk2 1.3. Is there any mk2 fuel pump that works with ABF (pressure and volume of fuel)? Digi2 or g60 perhaps?

I have a mk3 fuel tank and ABF fuel pump from my previous mk2 ABF conversion, but I want to keep the mk2 tank from my 1.3, because it's in very good nick. My mk3 tank needs all the seals to be changed, the ventilation system is knackered and the pump is making funny noises. If the mk3 pump is going to give up the ghost soon, I'd rather stick to my mk2 tank and get a pump for it.

I searched the forums, but I couldn't find anything about this topic, all the topics suggest swapping to a mk3 tank/pump.

Cheers!

2. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

one of my friends converted his mk2 8v gti to run an abf and he stayed with the 8v fuel pump and never had a problem with it.

3. GG.

GG. Forum Member

I assume that it was a digi 8v not K-Jet? [:D]

4. G-adams

G-adams CGTI Regional Host - Bristol

yea i forgot that bit lol

5. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Thanks G-adams lol

I'll try to look up specs for the 8v digi2 pump vs 16v digi3 pump :thumbup:

6. carlg Forum Member

just as a side note i run a K-jet pump on my 20vt @ 3bar a k-jet setup should be good for you too plus you will have all the head room you will need... the regulator on the ABF assuming your keeping the ABF injection will keep the pressure in check.

my 8v digi pump kept up with the k03 probably at about 185 hp but when i went to a k04 approx 250 ish it could not keep up

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    GG. likes this.
  7. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

I run a standard Digifant 2 fuel pump on my 170ps 16v Golf 2 (JENVEE) and a K-Jet Pump on my 315ps 16v Golf 2 (WOLF R). You can read more by clicking on my siggy.
    In the ABF'd car where a Megasquirt is used to control the std engine, my injectors are close to max to deliver the fuel quantity. If you are on a standard ECU and up to a 'chipped' map you will be fine.

GG. likes this.
  8. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Yeah, standard ABF injection. I'm not very keen about the k-jet fuel pump/filter setup. I've had my luck with leaking housings. :) Thanks Carl!

I'm looking to remap the standard Digi 3.2 ECU to it's maximum (170ish HP?). Sooo the Digi2 pump should be more than enough. I'm not planning on going the Megasquirt route just yet, nor do any mods. At least for now lol

Thanks fellas, loving ClubGTI

9. Toyotec

You can also remap the std digifant ECU to have the same engine performance as any other aftermarket engine controller. Just depends on the level of definition file and the user making the changes.
    The measurement for you achieve can vary from dyno to dyno [:D]

10. GG.

GG. Forum Member

We'll always believe the highest number, right? lol

That's what i've been told. There is this guy who de-immobilized my 1997 ABF ECU, he said he can unlock extra 20-25hp by remapping the standard digi ECU. He suggested welding in a bung for wideband lambda sensor in the exhaust mani and doing a full tune on the road or rollers. Sounds legit [:D]

The remap will come in handy, as I'm putting in PAS and AC. I'm sure I will bug you guys with more questions, especially the AC part lol

11. Toyotec

Good luck with it :thumbup:

12. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

you can use a kjet mk2 pump as well, just pick whatever comes up cheap first. if you do get a 16v pump bin all the lines off it plus the accumulator and filter, fit an m12x1.5 7-8mm barbed banjo adaptor to the pump then you can fit a digifant/mk3 fuel filter to it which will allow you to use normal push fit fuel lines. you'll need to change the fuel lines on your car to mk2 digi as the carb ones run from tank straight to the bay with nowhere for the fuel pump to plumb into plus the carb return is narrower bore than the gti which might not work so well.

you could of course fit a complete set of kjet fuel lines but chances are the fuel pump you find will have rotten metal pipes on it. other problem is the plastic reservoir for the kjet pump is nla so bear that in mind, you can still buy the digifant one though.

a further alternative is use a mk1 kjet style inline fuel pump with an external swirl pot. the later cabrio and scirocco plus all g40 shape polo have a swirlpot perfect for this application, or an aftermarket unit with 4 connections will do. You can use a mk3 golf fuel filter carrier to mount it all, clamp the pump and swirl pot either side:
    [​IMG]

13. GG.

GG. Forum Member

The 1.3 that will receive the ABF is not carb, it's Digijet (NZ). I snooped around the engine bay looking for a carb style fuel filter, but it's defo not in the engine compartment. This leads me to think that there is a filter underneath the car. I'll crawl under the 1.3 tomorrow and see if the filter is there, also measure diameter of the lines. Any chances that they are GTI spec?

Thanks for the loads of great advice!

To be honest, I'm not a fan of the k-jet and digifant under-car fuel pump setup. I've had my share of bad luck with cracking the k-jet housing when removing the rusty bolts that hold the pump. It was a huge pain in the butt to find a good used one.

14. rubjonny

aha, if so then looking at ETKA he fuel pump and lines should be the same as mk2 digifant ones :)

edit: if it is, the digifant pump casing is available from VW so you might want to go buy one before they run out!
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?269477

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  15. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Thanks rubjonny, that's good news!

Although, I think that unwillingly I'm going to go the mk3 tank route. Getting a new ABF pump will be cheaper than getting a digifant casing, pump etc. Looks like they have loads of digifant casings over here for 89eur a pop. I think it's around 75 of UK spec quid monies. [:D]

16. rubjonny

yup that would be my recommendation as well ;)

17. GG.

GG. Forum Member

I wanted to keep as many original parts as I can, as everything in that mk2 is in pristine condition. :)

But it's more reasonable to swap it over. Thanks for the input everybody!

18. twolitrepinto Forum Member

When i swapped my Mk2 1.6 carb fuel tank out for the mk3 abf fuel tank, i noticed that the round part in the top where the sender unit slots in is a lot smaller on the carb model. if your 1.3 tank has this size recess, then a gti or vr6 fuel pump probably wont fit in your tank?

19. GG.

GG. Forum Member

Yes, it's a lot smaller. I think only gti g60 tank accepts a mk3 gti/vr6 pump.

I do have a mk3 tank kicking around, as I mentioned before.

Pics stolen from google:

mk3 vs mk2

[​IMG]

mk2 g60 tank:

[​IMG]