MK2 ABS LIGHT

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Andreas_, Sep 28, 2022.

1. Andreas_ New Member

Hello.
    I’ve installed abs system in my mk2. The abs module came out from a 2000 Ibiza 6k2. So as you know these cars have the abs light inside the cluster and not separately as the original mk2 next to the handbrake light. At the workshop they tried to connect the original mk2 light but acts strange when ignition is on for the check it illuminates little bit and when the engine fires up the brightness of it goes higher and remains on. I guess the clusters have some kind of circuit which can read the module signal but is it possible to make it work with the original mk2 light or with a single bulb so i will know the status of the system?

thanks in advance.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the factory mk2 abs systems uses a separate abs warning lamp same as the ibiza one does, there's another light for ESP as well

3. Andreas_ New Member

4. rubjonny

ah ok, I thought you were trying to wire the ABS light to the MK2s standard handbrake light sorry.

so first double check the wiring, the ESP light is wired to pin 24 of the ABS module and the ESP switch (if you have ESP system that is) the ABS light is wired to pin 22.

5. davidut5 Forum Member

Dont know if abs pump is the same as mk3 golf but if it is, you can use a mk3 abs light electronics and wire it to mk2 abs bulb, this is what i did.
    Mk3 have incandescent bulb, so does mk2 but without electronics inside, ibiza have LED inside cluster i see. Abs module cannot directly drive an LED or incandescent bulb, i tried this.

6. rubjonny

ah thats what I was afraid of, I'm sure I had a mk3 abs light somewhere if I can find it I'll attempt to open and see if the internals are easily replicated or if you'd be better off using a complete abs lamp module to drive the stock mk2 lamp as david has done