Mk2 anti-roll bar options and opinions

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by luke w, Oct 1, 2008.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm looking at upgrading from stock GTI anti-roll bars and would like to know all the options available and your opinion on them please. If anyone has used different setups on the same car then it would be great to hear if there were any differences.

Setups I know about are:

The tried and tested Eibach seem to be the most reasonably priced, which come in one size 22mm for the front and 25mm for the rear.

H&R which are more expensive, but there is the option of different diameters, 22mm or 25mm front and 25mm or 28mm rear, which I believe are adjustable for stiffness? Is there a noticeable difference in the diameters and is having an adjustable rear of any use?

Neuspeed which seem to offer the same options as H&R but are more expensive again.

Weitec which are only available in 22mm fornt and 25mm rear, slightly more than the Eibachs, but are available separately.

I think KW have started doing them as well, but I don't know prices or options.

I've also heard that Mk3 Ibiza Cupra front can be used, anyone know the diameter of these and if they are easy to come by?

2. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

I've got the H&R 25/28mm kit, the rear is 3 way adjustable, only had it on mid setting with the 16v and full stiff at the moment.

[​IMG]

I think the KW ones are Eibach/H&R anyway as it says in the KW brochure they're made in conjunction with a leading German manufacturer.

I think the Seat ARB is 23mm tapered down to 20mm on the ends but not sure?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  3. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Thanks Gary. Don't suppose you've had any experience with other kits on your Mk2?

I'm in 2 minds whether to go for the Eibach kit or shell out a bit more for the H&R kit you've got.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

The SEAT 23mm one is the same as the G60 one, and yes it tapers at the ends as it fits the std MK2 inner bushings, but you need G60 outer drop links.
    You can also get a MK3 estate 21.5mm one from VAG (1H9 411 309), it has actually superceeded the original MK2 Golf bar, with this one the inner bushes need to be swapped (1H0 411 314) but the outer drop links are the same as the std MK2 items.

5. GVK

I had the Eibach kit 22/25 mm on the car prior to 2006 ( and on another mk2 before that )

I wanted to reduce roll on track but didn't want bigger spring rates, hence going for the H&R 25/28 kit.

Some people just fit a big rear bar and leave the front standard , or not have one at all.

6. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`ve got Neuspeed 22/25mm ARBs on mine.

I don`t have any experience of others, but these have never caused a problem, and the handling (Koni coilovers, and polybushes too) is spot on.

7. gillm

gillm ***** User

seat front and neuspeed 28mm rear works well .

i had eibachs on my old mk2 which were good and neuspeed front and rear on my ibiza which were also good but prob a bit too much on the road .

8. swaffGTI Forum Member

I have the h+r set but im not 100% on the sizes

It does not have any adjustment on the rear so im quessing the smaller kit

It improved the cars handling without a doubt and body roll is minimal

It depends what effect your after?

9. Alpenweiss2 Forum Member

Eibach ARB kit!

Hi Luke

If you decide to go for the Eibach 22/25 mm kit then you could do worse than go to VWSpeed (do a search on Google). I ordered a kit yesterday and it was 218 and then 230 delivered. Looking forward to it turning up today!!:)

Cheer Cymraeggti:)

10. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

Thanks for the suggestions :thumbup:

11. WAUOla Forum Member

hi gents,
    From where I am, it seems Eibach 22/25, H&R 22/25 or H&R 25/adjustable 28 are the candidates for an upgrade.
    But how happy have you been with your respective upgrades as over stock handling? Seems majority is having the 22/25 here, and I basically want something a bit more interesting for road use and potentially a mild track visit, so the 22/25 would be the preferred one?

12. GVK

You won't go far wrong with the Eibachs 22/25 for mainly road/odd track use.

As I posted previously I only went for the 25/Adj28 for on track performance.

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Hey up Gary, me old mucker.

GVK likes this.
  14. WAUOla Forum Member

Thanks, appreciate it!
    In my case will get my local supplier's H&R 22/25 kit (stainless H&R coil overs too).