mk2 big rattle?

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by turnipmuncher, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Towards the end of life for my original mk2 gti 1800 8v k-jet lump I found the car seemed to resonate slightly. Mainly noticeable during start up and at night when waiting behind another vehicle at the lights I could notice a vibration in the headlights... just slightly.

Since then I have popped in a low mileage 2.0 bottom end, replaced engine mounts, injectors, worn valve guides, tappets, got the timing & co2 set and it runs great.

However she still rattles slightly at start up... its strange I cannot locate where the noise is coming from. Its not coming from the engine or the exhaust, but almost sounds like a panel is vibrating slightly I don't think its the slam panel or the radiator as its mounted on the rubber fittings.

I do have a upgraded cam to spice it up slightly however when the motor is warm the car does not rattle, so the idle is not that rough and unnoticeable to be honest.

Anybody else experienced this? - its difficult to diagnose where the vibration noise is coming from with the engine running.... I have jumped underneath but too much noise to locate source.

Any mk2 owner tips appreciated as always ;)

2. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I would have said engine mounts, but you've already mentioned those. Gearbox mounts?

Also - diff or steering column?

If none of the above I wouldn't worry about it and would just put it down to charm!

3. pigbladder Forum Addict

naff non genuine engine mounts will make the dash rattle and general bits n bobs shake around

4. smp1987 Forum Member

the headlight on my old mk2 used to rattle because the plastic mounts had grumbled