Mk2 bonnet lock protector

Discussion in 'Security' started by Cressa, May 28, 2023.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have purchased one of these items from ebay. Its a metal plate that fits behind the front grille VW roundel and prevents access to the bonnet lock
    Just wondered if anyone else has done this and what they thought.
    I will be riveting it in place instead of using the self tapping screws it came with.
    I like the idea of it and can only see the downside that it restricts airflow slightly to the radiator.
    I may draw the VW sign on it and drill a series of holes perhaps. Maybe someone could fit an LED light to illuminate the badge!!

Attached Files:

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I didn’t know this was a thing. Now I feel like I should have one but the door locks are so poor it doesn’t really seem worth it if the scumbags really want to get under the bonnet.

3. Quiksilver

Quiksilver Paid Member Paid Member

Interesting, as PhilRyder said I didn’t know this was a thing.

4. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Showing my age now but do remember the original version, don't think it's giving too much away saying that before them the scrotes used to get in by pulling the VW badge off to access the bonnet pull.

Another one it's reminded me of was on the face lifted Nova's ... The hazard switch could be pulled out and re-inserted upside down to start them!

Cressa likes this.
  5. Dougie Paid Member Paid Member

Another reason to call it a hazard switch..

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Was the hazard switch thing real or an urban myth? I have heard it before but surely no one would design something in such a way to allow that to happen. Mind you this is vauxhall I guess

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Yep it’s true - was even shown in an episode of Top Gear several years back

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  8. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Bit of a thread update. I realised that the normal background behind the vw badge would be the silver of the radiator. Also that I was now restricting airflow. So I did a little marking of the badge space, drilled some holes and painted it silver. Unsure if It was the right thing to do, but it will still be secure

Attached Files: