MK2 Chassis Genis?! (Not your average water leak)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Classy6, Oct 12, 2007.

1. Steve B Forum Junkie

agree with rubjohnny think it was andy 947 that posted up some pics of that area, i did a search but cant find it now, i recon thats where you leak is from, get your wings off and youll probably see where the issue is.

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

well my car is now without

dash and carpets

every bit of carpet was soaking wet .... and the sound deadening that goes from passenger footwell upwards to behind blower unit was soaking too

i'm now officially out of my depth lol

3. fthaimike Forum Addict

Had the same kind of problem in my mk1 & it was where the two skins of metal joined (bulk head & scuttle tray):
    [​IMG]
    Layed down inside car & i could see the garage lights shinning through.

4. Classy6 Forum Member

It's definitely leaking through a weld on the inside. Anyone familiar with Mk2s should understand what I'm on about. On the drivers side you have 2 Big black plastic screw caps that hold the fusebox bracket to the car. Just in front of these caps, maybe an inch or two, there is an overlapping weld that stretches across the entire interior. This is where it seeps in on both sides.

I will advise the body shop to have a look behind the wings, if I don't have a quick look before hand. The leak is a very odd one for sure. It only seems to leak in very torrential rain now. Almost as if its collecting somewhere, forming a reservoir and then the excess is leaking into the car.

fthaimike - Is that underneath the rain tray then? Will have to have a closer look tonight.

Cheers for the help everyone, very informative stuff. Don't think there will be a leak that will people won't be able to diagnose after this! :lol: :thumbup:

5. fthaimike Forum Addict

Yes under the rain tray right at the back on mine were the bulkhead joins with the rest, not sure how different mk2's are.

6. Gti8valve New Member

My GTI suffered a similiar problem-as mentioned above check under your wings. Mine was bad but managed to repair the tinworm:) What was happening was the water was actually tracking through the rails and leaking into the car that way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. mk28vICED Forum Member

good pics gti 8v, not seen that before.

8. IanCarvell Forum Member

Mine had the same problem...it was just leaking from the seal that seals the heater air intake into the scuttle panel. The rain comes through the vent holes at the back of the bonnet and it runs through the scuttle and drains through holes at either end of the scuttle into the front wheel arches.....as a result it runs straight past the heater intake hole....if the gasket is perished like most of the are the water just runs striaght into the car.

9. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

hmm i think you have solved why my passenger side leaks there Ian

i have dash out, carpet out all the lower sound deadening out and been looking for this leak

but why am i getting water in drivers side too?

actually could just be soaking thro the various bits of sound deadening to that point i spose

10. Classy6 Forum Member

Still leaks..

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  11. roccodan Forum Member

My mk 2 used to fill up if it was parked pointing uphill,so you can all guess how I solved that problem...

12. mark mcdonnell Forum Member

sunroofs do have a tendancy to leak,this may sound silly,but a sunroof will only leak dependant on how heavy and at what direction the rain is coming from,also how your car is poised.remember that a sunroof drain is only the thickness of a macdonalds straw.mk2's with leaky sunroofs will leak from the a&b pillars,where as a mk3 will leak into the boot(like mine).you also must look at the color of the water from the leak,if it is dirty then you have a leak from the body work,clear water normally means a falied seal or sunroof drains.