Mk2 Earth Points

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Dellboy, Jan 16, 2019.

1. Dellboy Paid Member Paid Member

hi,

I have had some electirical issues with my starter and also clocks and having been through loads of really useful posts here they are now working . However while cleaning earths contacts, going on other posts some may be missing or in the wrong place. Does anyone know the right locations of earths for a 85 mk2 golf gti 8v k jet.

I have Earth from battery to battery tray to gearbox
    I have brown and white wire going to front corner of valve cover. Although working should this go to back corner bracket of valve cover?

I have a strap going from the gearbox, by bracket holding the clutch cable to front corner of valve cover . I think this one is wrong

I don’t have an Earth from coil or coil bracket, not sure which it should be, to the valve cover. Should there be one here?

I have put additional Earth from stater bolt to battery tray Earth, this got the starter working again.

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Since your car is an early one the battery earth goes to a stud on the top of the upper gearbox bracket, fine when new but corrosion builds up between the box and bracket till the starter stops working. later mk2 and mk3 moves this earth to a stud on the end of one of the 2 upper bolts which hold the gearbox to the engine, you've basically done the same thing with your extra earth to the starter bolt :)

the brown/white wire is for the clocks and can be earthed anywhere on the head which is handy, on a later digifant theres a double stud in the side coolant flange for it, or you can use the bracket on the rear corner of the head.

On later cars theres an extra braided earth from valve cover to one of the bolts holding the coil on but I think its just for extra interference suppression for the radio, mine was missing for ages and I didn't see any difference once replaced anyway