Mk2 electric window relay

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by i.a.n.b, Aug 5, 2007.

1. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Can some one do me a little favour please![:D] I installed the loom for my electric windows yesterday but the loom didn't come with a relay, can anyone with electric windows get me the part number from theres so I can order one.[:D] Also if any one can tell me which wires need to be plugged in where it would be helpful! Thanks.

2. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

10 mins hunting through mk2 relays on etka and answered my own question!
    141 951 253b which has superseeded twice and is now 8k0 951 253. Any wiring help is still appreciated..

3. Drew21 Forum Member

AFAIK any old 4 pin relay (terminals 30, 85, 86 and 87) will do. As to wiring, it depends how you want to do it really.
    I have mine wired up with two relays so that one relay is energised when the ignition is on, and the other is energised when the door switch is earthed (ie door open) so that the windows can be closed after the engine is turned off, by opening the door.

I don't know the standard wiring plugs for the fuse box, I just used some unused terminals on the relay board (a 30, a 31 and a 15 plus a wire to the door switch of course).

a standard way of doing it would be:
    30 to 30 on the relay
    15 to 85 on the relay
    31 (earth) to 86 on the relay
    87 to the electric window switches

oh and you need a sidelight "on" for the switch illumination too...

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

aha, so THAT is what the extra brown/white wire on the corrado 1 touch electric window loom is for, I knew it went to the door pin but wasn't sure what it was for :thumbup:

5. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Glad you understood all that, I need it in plain english!:lol: That looms on its way tomorrow (wednesday) by the way.;)

6. rubjonny

This might help:
    30 = permanent live
    15 = ignition live
    31 = earth
    87 = output from relay

and this diagram :)

cupracraig likes this.
  7. Drew21 Forum Member

yup, that's the wiring diagram I used, the fuse is important. Because I used an unfused permanent live from the relay board I had to put a fuse holder into the circuit also.

Apologies Ian for the numbers, you get the hang of what it all does very quickly. If you look at the haynes wiring diagrams you'll see the numbers 30, 31 and 15 along the top of the circuit diagrams

Usually on a normal 4 pin relay, 85 and 86 are the control terminals (ie if there is a circuit there then the relay is "on") and 30 and 87 are the switched terminals (so these are the terminals where the higher current circuit is wired through (ie the leccy windows in this case). Most of the relays in your car will be very close to this basic design and you will see the terminals marked as such on the relay, that's why any relay will do and you don't need a "special VW" one.

enjoy

8. rubjonny

Yeah the OEM VW setup uses an unfused live feed with an inline fuse clipped to the top of the fusebox, the ign live feed is fused internally though.

9. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Yea I've got that fuse clipped to the top of my fuebox, it was a complete loom stripped from a donar vehicle, thanks for the help guys, think I'm going to learn something when I get round to finsihing it off! ;)

10. rubjonny

if you want to know the factory locations for the leccy window setup, check out my fusebox FAQ :)

11. i.a.n.b Forum Junkie

Will do...;)

12. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

I tried a 24 and it activated the first time. But not the second time I switched on the ignition. It's a 53 that's correct for this right? Do they have different trigger tolerances?

13. rubjonny

24 is what they usually have originally, 53 works in its place. they both required ignition live and earth to trigger, the relay might be duff or the trigger feeds need looking at

cupracraig likes this.
  14. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

ah ok, must be the ground then i recon. Will double check that, thanks John