Mk2 - Engine swap w/out front panel off?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Stu, Jun 14, 2005.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi,

Is it possible/easy to change a Mk2 16v engine and gearbox without removing the front slam panel/radiator/bumper etc?

The reason I ask is 'cos I don't want to disturb my currently working Air-con condensor/piping as it looks a little fragile and I'd like it to keep working! :p

Anyone done an engine swap by lifting it up and out over the slam panel on a hoist? Is it much more difficult or should I bite the bullet and strip it all down first and risk knackering the A/C?

Cheers

Stu

2. Cerberii Forum Member

Easy enough with a hoist. Done this a few times. Helps to have another pair of hands to angle the engine and watch for it snagging things.

Gavin

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Cool, that sounds ok then. I take it you can unbolt the PAS pump and A/C compressor from the block and then tie them up in the engine bay to stop them straining on their pipes whilst swapping engines over?

4. scos Forum Member

Yep, that's what I did. You'll need to make sure your hoist can lift it completely clear of the bay, that's all.
    And as matey says, 2 people needed really to avoid damaging any brake pipes etc. as the block goes past things.

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

That's the type of thing we did in the days before we had an AC service machine Stu.

6. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Good stuff - probably won't be swapping over until August (after 'Ring trip) but will no doubt have plenty of questions when things start going wrong! :lol:

One other thing - since I plan to swap gearbox as well, is it best to leave the 'box attached to the engine and lift the whole thing out or separate them still in the car?

Cheers for the help so far :)