MK2 floor pan deadening pad / compound

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Trev16v, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Hello,

A number of years ago I had to do some small floor pan repairs on my MK2 16V. On the outside of the car underneath the floor I applied a few layers of POR-15 and then underseal to protect it and it seems to have held well.

On the top side of the floor (inside the car) my repair areas were getting a little surface corroded again because I originally just sprayed some etch primer over. So last weekend I cleaned it up and applied a good layer of POR-15 inside.

What I then hoped to do was to create a layer of that black deadening pad that VW apply to the top side of the floor, because obviously some areas I've had to scrape away. I bought a tin of Eldro Dum-Dum which I thought would be ideal for this, but it turned out to be hopeless. It's very difficult to work with, and just not possible to spread over a surface.

Any suggestions please on what to use to create the original deadening that VW applied?

Thanks

Trev

2. Andy947 Forum Addict

Stick dowm some roofing tar or dynamat if you must.

But otherwise don't bother, utter waste of time.

Infact, just scrap the sh*tbox Mk2 :)

3. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Like andy said, get some tar - warm it up in boiling water then pour it and spread it quickly with a stiff yard brush. Makes a world of difference, and way better than Dynomat. You can buy the same sort of stuff as driveway sealant if you live near a tar refinery like I do - they'll sell you a 50 litre drum of whatever you need for about 40 if you go direct. It takes ages for the smell to go away, mind - you'll always think you are burning oil for a couple of months.