mk2 Front fogs... like candles.

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Tristan, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've had the front foglights on the Mk2 on by accident sometimes while driving , and you genuinely would be hard set to notice them from the drivers seat . Are they all that dim? they were replaced a few years ago .

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Paid Member Paid Member

How do you put them on by accident? They are on a completly different switch. Are you running an upgraded wiring loom?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they arnt that bright, mainly due to the angles involved. fogs are designed to light up the road under the fog, so you wont really see the beam pattern. in really thick fog its sometimes advisable to switch off the dipped beam as you end up being blinded due to the water particles reflecting all the light back at your face.

that being said, mk2 housings are getting on a bit now and are made of plastic, so they dont age too well. if you take the glass off the rear housings check the foil hasn't all flaked off. you can upgrade using mk3 golf rear housings which are made of metal. i wrote a guide on how to completely strip down and rebuild mk2 fogs

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers guys . The dashlight switches aren't illuminated , so I sometimes hit it when looking for the rear demister

5. thegave Forum Member

They're not bright but the area they illuminate is quite significant you notice more light around the car, rather than directly in front of it. Handy for night time parking in dimly lit areas.

I drive with them on when I'm doing unlit B-roads.