Mk2 Golf 1.6 holding back/feels restricted

Discussion in '8-valve' started by DecMK2, Jul 29, 2008.

1. DecMK2 New Member

Hi guys im quite new here, been browsing for a while.

Ive had a problem thats rather annoying and has been happening for a while. When im driving sometimes my mk2 spluters and stutters and has to be revved quite a lot when pulling away and struggles up hills. As I said, this is only intermitant though.

Today though it wasnt doing that (but it was last night) but it felt really restricted and like it was holding back. I have recently cleaned the carb out in the hope to stop the spluttering as described above which seemed to work but it has come back again so its not the carb.

I have also recently changed all the spark plugs, dizzy cap, rotor arm and today i changed the HT leads in the hope it would stop all of this. I have also recently changed the rocker cover gasket (had an oil leak) but it has been happening before and after changing that.

I have got a rather large split down the side of my backbox but ive been told that mk2's dont rely on backbox pressure enough for it to cause an issue [:s]

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks,
    Dec

:)

2. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

Mine used to do this, until I changed the vacuum hoses to the carb. i take it you still have the 2E2 fitted and not a weber? It might be worth investigating the vacuum hoses. They can cause all sorts of problems.

It might also be worth cleaning the carb. I do mine fairly often, just to make sure that it keeps on running. Had no problems since I did all the above!

3. DecMK2 New Member

Oops sorry mate i forgot to say it does have the weber fitted [:$] sorry. Does it still have vacuum hoses? It was only cleaned recently but I suppose its worth a try :( I didnt find anything blocking anything the last time though :(.

Im not sure why this is happening because I had the car for around 6 months before it started happening. Ive now had the car around 8-9 months :(

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does it have the std airbox, could be carb icing!

5. antinkariba

antinkariba Forum Member

I thought that... Could very well be!

6. DecMK2 New Member

Yea its the standard airbox. Excuse me for sounding stupid but what is carb icing? I thought that it would be too warm for that? [:$]

Whats a good way to sort it?

Thanks for all your help so far :)

Dec

7. rubjonny

doesnt have to be cold, its more likly to happen when its dam out! it has been a bit damp over the last few days here, dunno about your area! You just need to make sure the warm air flap in the airbox opens properly and the pipe is there and plugged into the metal shroud round the zaust manifold :)

8. SirGeekalot Forum Member

carb icing is from the vaporisation of the fuel causing rapid cool down. sometimes enough for it to freeze inside the carb. make sure your warm air feed from the top of the rocker cover is attached to the air box..

9. DecMK2 New Member

I think that the valve in my airbox is broken actually which could explain it. In the winter though I didnt have any problems and its been really warm here lately. Im in Colchester, Essex. It rained a bit last night though and it seems worse today than it has done before.

The air feed is there so dont think that its that :(

10. rubjonny

well you can prove it one way or t'other, thread a self tapping screw thru the side holding the flap open, if it does it again you know its not icing. the shroud is important too, with the pipe just hanging mine would cut out every morning without fail at the same set of lights :lol:

11. DecMK2 New Member

Which part should the screw go in? On the side of the actual box or where the pipe splits?[:$]

12. rubjonny

if ya look at your airbox, you'll see a domy bit with a vac line to it, this is where the warm air flap is. If you have a look inside what you do is lift up the flap by hand, then screw in the screw thru the side so that it holds open the flap, its a bodge but it'll work in this case to prove if it is carb icing or not :)

13. DecMK2 New Member

Ahh cool thanks mate :) I'll give it a go now!

14. DecMK2 New Member

Unfortunatly no change :(

Someone on a local forum suggested it could be the coil?

15. rubjonny

tis a cheap fix, tci worth swappin at same time. its the wee thing bolted to the metal bracket in the rain tray, driver side.
    what about the carb flange?

16. DecMK2 New Member

Yea i changed the lead from there to the distributor earlier on and it looks abit worn! Not sure what the carb flange is lol just googling it now!

17. DecMK2 New Member

My dad (who has more expertise than me!) said that its not really worth spending 30 on a coil unless i have to so im going to take it to my local garage bloke tomorrow and get him to test it for me :)

18. SirGeekalot Forum Member

got a spare coil and tci here that should (correct me here RJ) work if you need them.

19. DecMK2 New Member

GTI Time i think. Clutch is on the way out and can't be bothered paying as much for a clutch as I did for the car! :lol:

20. rubjonny

well the coil can be used with your GTI lump too, so its an investment ;)
    theres a guy on ebay who sells the flanges, also AVS sell em.

Coil & TCI from any MK2 with electronic ignition will work, as long as the coil just needs the king lead terminal with the pin in the middle rather than a big hole!