mk2 golf 1.6 weber carb icing

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by chapman111, Oct 21, 2014.

1. chapman111 New Member

I cleaned the carburettor out and nothings blocked. I've been told by people about the carb icing, I've got the standard airbox and airfilter on but its still running like rubbish. The corrugated foil pipe from manifold to to airbox is okay and attatched, so hopefully. Is there anything else I can do? Like a screw to adjust the amount of hot air or anything like that? What does everyone think? The problem is that when I put my foot down it just splutters and coughs and then it will kick in and be fine? The carb flange is fine, I changed the fuel filter also.. Fuel is getting through okay also. What do people think??

2. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Does the heater element on the front work? Looks like a roll of 1p coins. It should get hot within seconds of the ignition turning on.

3. chapman111 New Member

forgive me but im not sure where you mean? the front of what?[:|]

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

What you're experiencing doesn't sound like carb icing to be honest. Carb icing is a condition where your engine will be running fine possibly for hours on a journey, and then suddenly start to lose power out of the blue. The engine dies, and after a couple of minutes you can start it again and it goes fine as if nothing happened.

With yours it sounds like a consistent poor running issue.

5. chapman111 New Member

once you spray a bit of carb cleaner down there it runs so much better and runs fine for about a mile. i was literally just driving and then it lost all power, wouldnt idle, wouldnt go anywhere, then got it going with lots of revs then i kept my foot to the floor then it literally drove fine, at the next junction it started playing up again. since then the carbs been rebuilt, fuel and air filters been done, plugs and leads, timings been checked also. i did notice that the flap in the airbox that controls hot and cold are was seized closed so no warm air can get through.. so im going to replace that and hope it does something..

6. EZ does it Forum Member

That flap seized on mine and I was able to free it off with a bit of WD40 and just working it open and closed a few times. You'll need to check that the vacuum pipework is all intact and that there is a vacuum being applied to the dome on that flap mechanism when the engine is cold and idling. If the flap is too stiff, or there is insufficient vacuum then it won't open.

7. chapman111 New Member

I'll have to see what I can do tonight after work, the vacuum seems to be okay as you can blow through it fine, will get it on the car and running and see what's going on. Would the hedghog pre heater in the manifold have anything to do with the problem or 'icing' is there any way to check its working or heating anything up? It looks in good condition,

8. maxmo

maxmo Forum Member

You need the flap to work, it's pointless wondering and messing about with the more complicated things you mention before fixing this. The hot air hose might as well not be there if the flap isn't directing hot air or you might be only directing hot air - also not good.

You need to suck the pipe that leads to the flap after you have unseized it, your suction will be enough to test it.

Also make sure that all your vac pipes are connected correctly as per the thread in the carburetor FAQ section.

9. chapman111 New Member

Will be tonights job. Thanks for the advice guys, will let you know how everything goes later on, hopefully this may solve many problems.

What would explain the car running much better with carb cleaner though and then after a mile or so it goes back to spluttering and coughing etc?

10. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Sorry, the front of the carb.

The red circle:
    [​IMG]

Maybe the carb cleaner melts the ice briefly?

11. chapman111 New Member

yeah i dont actually have that on the front of my carb... i dont think ive ever had one? i put the carb back on the car today so i wouldnt have noticed.

oh

12. chapman111 New Member

put a screw in the airbox to hold the flap up to let hot and cold air in and it drives fine!! think the carb needs a slight tune up though as i had someone take it off and clean it

will let people know how i get on