mk2 golf 1.6 weber carb problems

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by chapman111, Oct 7, 2014.

1. chapman111 New Member

hi everyone, I was just driving one sunday afternoon on the dual carriage way, when all of a sudden I lost lots of power and then it just wouldn't idle, wouldn't go unless I had my foot to the floor.. it just wouldn't go anywhere, then suddenly it will kick back in and be fine. I work at Volkswagen so I had it all tested etc and cylinders are fine, changed plugs and leads and that helped a little bit, dizzy is new also. the car now idles occasionally and now its running rich as hell.. it wont let me adjust the idle speed or air/fuel mixture or anything like that. someone at work recommended that it could be an air leak causing it to not respond and just cut out, and the air is escaping so its running rich because of that aswell as it not being set up correctly originally. so ive ordered a new flange, other various bits to clean the carb out with. im just wanting to know or advice on setting up the jets and what not when I have cleaned the carb out and put the new flange on etc.. as I have no clue when it comes to carbs.. and people at work don't seem interested. are there instructions or anything like that? does anyone have any advice or onow anyone local to Peterborough that can help??? id really appreciate the help as ive been without a car now for 2 weeks

thanks!!!

2. EZ does it Forum Member

If it's cutting out and then seemingly fixing itself a few minutes later then your problem may well be carb icing,

There should be a small heater element screwed to the front of the Weber which is carry-over from the original Pierburg if I remember right, it is also crucial that your warm air feed is operational. Check the following:

- that the hose is attached to the exhaust manifold shroud
    - that the hose is intact and not split
    - that the warm air feed flap vacuum hoses are attached and not split
    - that the warm air feed flap isn't seized (should be able to operate it by sucking on the vacuum hose)

If you have an aftermarket pancake filter on top, get rid of it for winter and go back to standard.

3. chapman111 New Member

it now idles fine, on the non return valve one should be blocked off, but the other goes to the dizzy. (correct me if I'm wrong). so that improved the running and it ran smoother and less rough, but the problem now is that when you just leave it idling or when you drive it.. you put your foot down and it just bogs out and it splutters then you hear a pop and bang and then it picks up and goes fine! does it in every gear, from stand still its the worst as sometimes it just doesn't go.. the weird thing is i had the carb off and cleaned through and got it back on and it ran perfect, then after about 5 miles it started doing it again. i know its running rich, so I'm thinking that its overfueling? someone at work said it could be timing or the carb needs setting up OR there is a blockage in the carb somewhere? but if it was timing wouldn't that be a constant problem? surely if it was timing it wouldn't be intermittent it'd be constant. unless the petrol with the carb cleaner made it more flammable but once it had burned through the cleaner it started firing wrong? i really have no idea with this. someone recommended dropping some redex down the carb and in the fuel to flush it through a bit.. HELP!!!

4. chapman111 New Member

tried the redex today, doesn't seem to have really done much..

5. WillG

WillG Forum Member

Have you replaced the rubber flange yet?

6. chapman111 New Member

not yet.. but surely replacing the flange wouldn't explain the intermittent problem??? with a bit of cleaner it goes okay then after a mile or so it runs like rubbish again.. that's the next thing on the list of jobs to do.. I'd love to clean the carb out myself but I just wouldn't know where to start!! or what even to do! i'd rather have someone with experience rebuild it or help me do it[:[]

7. Jackj1312 New Member

Any update on this I'm having the identical problem to you on a 1.8 weber carb all the same things have been changed, keep thinking the problem is fixed and then the next day it does it again like today I've had the carb apart and cleaned all the float chamber (very dirty with lumps of crap in it) since that I've taken it on a long drive and it's been fine but it's happened before where it's been fine and then wouldn't you know it again it happens so just waiting for that now, not really sure where to turn next

8. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

Have you checked what EZ does it recommends in post #2? By far the most likely problem IMHO.

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

10. chapman111 New Member

I fixed this eventually after trying everything else. The problem was that on the airbox.. The pipe that goes to the wing. There is a little box in that and it has a flap inside it, if that seizes closed then it won't allow hot air into the intake, I drilled a hole into that box, put a screw into it to hold this flap up so i had a constant hot air feed.. And it fixed it.. Simple as that!!! If anyone has this problem please check your airbox flap if nothing else fixes it, cold air could still get in as it was only being held up at least 3/4 of its travel.. So a constant hot air but still allowing cold