mk2 Golf Brake Servo - Whats the difference?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Hodgy_mk2golf, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi guys/girls,

Basically im a little confused with the info thats out there. Through everything Ive read the mk2 GTI 16v is the one to buy to upgrade the brakes as its a 9" servo. However the MK2 GTI 8v also has a 9" servo? Whats the difference? I know they have different part numbers but are they actually the same unit.

mk2 GTI 16v part number of 357 612 107A
    mk2 GTI 8v part number of 192 612 105E.

The reason I ask is I'm wanting to couple it up with a 22.2mm master cylinder to give better braking and dont want to fit an 8v servo if its the wrong one, i would much rather buy a 16v servo if the units are different.

All help much appriciated. Richard

2. lard44 Forum Member

IIRC late 8vs got a larger Servo - earlier ones had a 7" jobbie compared to the 16v's 9".

And we all know the difference an extra couple of inches can make...

3. danTbone Forum Member

yeh i need a couple of inches.
    yeh later 8v golfs had 9" servo. i think they had 20mm m/c and 16v had 22mm

4. does this mean i can use the 9" 8v servo that i have and just marry it up with a 22mm master cylinder and jobs a good'en?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

no difference in those servos, just the 357 part number replaces the 192 part number. all 1.8 mk2s had the same 9" servo, 1.3-1.6 have smaller 7". also diesel and autos got the 9"

so ya, fit the 22mc to your old gti servo and jobs a goodun

6. Cheers for that advice.

If im to buy a new 22mm master cylinder, where is the best place to get one - tried going through Euro Car Parts and they dont state the size apart from on @ 20.64 - Loads of help. What realistically am i going to pay?

7. rubjonny

gsf do them, or keep an eye on ebay. looking for ATE make if possible

8. Spoken to GSF and managed to knock them down from 45+VAT to an amazing 33.33+VAT to take it to a nice round 40 for a new MC however its made by Schneberg based in Berlin.

Will this be any good?

9. rubjonny

not heard of that one but its german so cant be that bad :lol:

10. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Any idea how much a new servo is? Mines scabby as owt and it would be rude not to replace it while the engines out.

11. rubjonny

oh you really dont want to know :lol:

12. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

That much eh!!!! Could I use one from any newer models?

13. rubjonny

corrado and passat have the same servo but newer than that seem to have mk3 golf ball end fitment unfortunatly