Mk2 Golf Component/sub install

Discussion in 'ICE' started by kona786, Apr 30, 2006.

1. kona786 Forum Member

I'm planning an install for my mk2 golf gti and have made the choice to do it as cheap as possible (got carried away planning a dream system :lol: ). However i still want a quality system if you catch my drift. :)

Im thinking of these components in the front: Pioneer TS-A132C 13cm components 50

[​IMG]

This amp: KAC-8452 four channel amplifier 130

[​IMG]

And this sub: Vibe CBR10 Active 160

[​IMG]

I have a alpine HU and pioneer 6x9's in the back which are going to amped by the kenwood amp.

I want a good blend of sound quality and volume.

So what do you guys think? not sure about the choice of comps but dont wanna spend too much on them. Any comments/suggestions??

Cheers,
    Wahid.

2. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

not keen on the stuff you've chosen tbh

and i think amping 6x9s in the back is a bad idea.

3. kona786 Forum Member

tell me more darryn, what do you suggest for a similar price??

4. pigbladder Forum Addict

i dont have any experiance on any of those items...but my advise is spend as much as you can on front comps, and amp them

5. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

Rainbow SLX230 13cm 90:

[​IMG]

Alpine MRV-F340 4ch amp (300 in some places) 200:
    you can bridge 2 channels to one for sub, and run other 2 channels for components

[​IMG]

that's 290 so far, spend the rest, or even a wee bit more if you can on a half decent 10" sub.
    i would leave the 6x9's out - decent components in front, and if you really must have - just rear fill 6x4 speakers running of HU.

the amp can be bridged to 3channel and means you wouldn't have to bother about the active stuff

and it would sound faaaar better than pioneer/kenwood/vibe stuff

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
  6. bruce New Member

I'm thinking about getting some components for my mk2, where is best place to put the tweeters? I would prefer not to hack holes in the interior.

7. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

ideal place for tweeters in mk2 is original dash locations

8. kona786 Forum Member

ok darryn im hearing you on the rainbow's; are you sure the extra cost (almost double in price!) is justified in terms of sound quality.

Also how is the alpine amp better than the kenwood??

And lastly i dont want to skimp on the sub so can you recommend a good quality sub/amp combo (10") for under 200. ( i would like a mono amp for sub btw not a shared amp :) ).

9. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

10. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

personal preference - just thought it was a cracking buy, 300 down to 200.

11. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

12. kona786 Forum Member

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  13. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

brilliant price [8D]

the deluxe ones are apparently even better than the ones i posted - they're 120 on CAD.

what amp you gonna be using?

14. kona786 Forum Member

It all depends...

tell me what you think of that infinity sub please mate, then i can decide on getting one amp to power the lot. :) .

15. MattW Forum Member

Why do you want 6x9's? The idea behind them is a 3 in 1 speaker... which NEVER works... unless you pay silly money for them...

Basically they have a tweeter, mid and bass...

In your setup you don't need bass, because of that vibe sub the 6x9 bass you will try and get will distort far sooner than the sub will...

Secondly, mid, you have chosen a set of component mids - more than enough for the job...

Finally - Tweet YOU HAVE GOT TWEETERS IN THE COMPONENT SET far far better than the 6x9 equivalent...

NEVER EVER USE 6x9'S ... unless you wear burberry.

16. corradophil Forum Member

I agree, do away with the 6x9's. I had them on an MDF shelf in my Golf about 6 years ago.

I remember going to an ICE shop and the first thing they said was get rid of them, and it will sound better straight away, he was right too.

I have components in the front, a JL Audio 12WO in the boot all powered off a 4 channel amp with two channels bridged to power the sub. It sounds really good, nice and clear with a fair amount of bass. Plus there is no messing around with speakers on the parcel shelf.

17. TurbTech Forum Junkie

I'd stick to the Vibe active if i was you. Fitted pleanty of these and you really could do a lot, lot worse.

18. corradophil Forum Member

Iv'e heard a VIbe active sub and it did sound good, so if you wanted to keep that, you could get a decent two channel amp to power the components.

19. kona786 Forum Member

I hear what your sayin guys about the 6x9's. I had them from my last car and used them for bass other than anything else in a 4 speaker system.

Now i have my new car im js gonna keep the 6x9's until i get a sub.

But heres my plan:

Front - Rainbow SLX230 deluxe components (80w rms) [BOUGHT]

Amp for components - Alpine MRV-F340 (Bridged to give 2x100w rms)
    Bought this amp for little dough, thats why its a 4-ch amp. :) [BOUGHT]

Rear/boot - Vibe CBR10 Active (300w rms) - i am open to other suggestions on the sub up to 250. im looking for sound quality rather than loud shaky bass. [STILL LOOKING FOR]

I have also picked up a SHARK 1 FARAD POWER CAP for cheap. Do i hook this up to the car's battery and just run the amp/s of this??

Cheers, Wahid.

Last edited: May 9, 2006
  20. bubba_2_k Forum Member

is this correct as i have been told that they should be as near to the center of the mid driver to get the best sound

as for sub woofer these three are the ones id go for the re sx would be my first choice if u can afford an amp powerful enough to power it

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2961&cadid=c879e763262fe4b2eea9c727653488c4

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2964&cadid=c879e763262fe4b2eea9c727653488c4

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4371&cadid=c879e763262fe4b2eea9c727653488c4