Mk2 Golf Custom Cages Cage Owners

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mlloyd2000, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Hamish Forum Member

Not a problem if the car doesn't have a roof!

Also rather than using a hole saw to get it through the floor, cut a U shape and push the metal out of the way, then when you are done bend it back and weld.

2. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

seems so much hassle for a cage that is meant to fit this specific car. surely it would have been cheaper, less time consuming and ultimately, end up with a better result, to get one installed/made. no help to your issues but i just cannot believe when you buy something like this that it does not fit properly.

3. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

Suppose this explains why it costs an extra 1300 if you want custom cages to fit the kit for you.

4. Squible Forum Member

Hindsight is a wonderful thing! As I've just said in my topic, if I'm to do one again, or advise anyone, I would get the main hoop, screen bar and a pillar bars from them and make the rest myself. The main hoop, once its sat into the b pillars, is a great fit and you can weld a couple/few inches of the hoop straight to the shell front and back.

The way I have it sitting now (after buying more tube and other 'tweeks') I couldn't have got a tighter fit (unless I kinked the a pillars, like in the audi). It fits really really well now. But yes, it could have worked out cheaper :lol: Finally, hassle and time consumption is all part of the game!

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

That's total cost incl tube?

6. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

Nope that's on top of the 740 that the kit costs.
    2040 total if you want it fitted

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

T45 or CDS?

It used to be 1,500 ballpark for CDS. What's happened? There seems to be hyperinflation in the roll cage market [:s]

8. mlloyd2000 Forum Member

That's CDS prices. Would hate to think what T45 would cost.

Seems everyones cage prices have shot up over the last few years.

The VAT rise is a small part of it, I expect the price of steel has something to do with it too.
    Still a huge hike in prices compared to other items though.

9. samfish

samfish Forum Member

We are thinking it may have been easier to get one custom made - taking and time into account.
    The custom cages one has benefits over off-the-shelf bolt in cages doesnt it, but I wish it fitted easier!
    Do alot of the bars need re-shaping to fit?

10. Jools Forum Member

Back to the subject of custom cages, i bought a club kit for my scirocco, and it's spot on, fts like a glove, a wee bit tight on the B pillars but not too bad, was surprised how well it fits.
    They were very helpful on the phone, as i had a spare plate, they sent by accident.

11. Squible Forum Member

I am happy with the kit, and I'm happy that it could not fit any better, even making it from scratch myself now (with the exception of tweeking the a-pillars in at the screen for extra vision like in the Audi). But yes, it could have been done a lot cheaper, but I'm happy that I'll have a certified cage, thats lighter than I could have got away with.

I think they either need to re visit the fitment of the kit or just inform customers of the fitment. I shall advise them of this once I have it certified :lol: For the money, at the moment, its just not an investment I'd make again, personally.

- I found every bar needs work doing to it for it to fit. This was mainly opening the notches out so they fitted well. and slightly adjusting the angles.

- The roof diagonal needs bending back or it hits the roof.

- The a-pillars need forcing out with the door bars a lot, so this is something you need to do early on to get it in the right place, or the leg will come down at an angle like in the Mk2 they send a couple of pictures of (amongst the rest of the other non relevant ones :lol: )

- The screen bar needs a lot of length taking out of it, to get it sitting up out the way and tight.

- A new dash bar needs making, 40mm longer, but this isn't totally necessary, I just want it to fit in a way that I'm happy with.

- The rear bars to the turrets aren't long enough, or weren't for me, so a raised mount would have to be made to allow for the deficit in length.

All these issues would not be as bad if you do like a lot of others have and chop the main hoop down, but I personally think thats a very very poor way of working around the problem and after spending out that money, wasn't going to happen. If I had sent it to them to do and got it back like that, I'd have simply refused it and had it removed.

I hope this helps others who are fitting it or looking to buy one. As said above, if I were to do it again, I'd get the main hoop and a pillar bars, or make them from scratch if I was near, or had access to a mandrel bender (Protection Performance bent the bars for Hamish's Audi once we'd bent templates roughly to shape.