Mk2 Golf GTI 16v 2.0 ABF Juddering

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Gareth Whyley, Oct 25, 2022.

1. Gareth Whyley New Member

Evening all,

Over the last week I’ve started having an issue where the car will start judder suddenly while driving. Someone’s it’s just one shape judder, other times it can happen a few times. One thing I’ve noted is it’s after the cars been running for 30/40 minutes.

I’ve also noticed that the relay for the ECU is getting hot to touch, not warm but hot. I’ve got one in order to replace as I’ve heard these seem to fail quite often but wonder is that likely the case?

At the weekend I replaced a coil that is only a month old as it was replaced when I had some other issues. However, it turned out the coil wasn’t faulty, and the one that was put in its place when I’d turn the headlights on or used an indicator the rev counter would jump, so I swapped them back over.

Im hoping swapping the relay will resolve it but could I be missing anything else?

2. Gareth Whyley New Member

Update:

turns out the original coil is faulty and on its last legs. Took the car out for a drive after swapping the relay and seemed fine then just randomly died and then drove rough. So a quick swap to another coil that removed that issue. I’m wondering could it of damaged the relay though?

Should the juddering still be there what else could it be?

Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed. I’m hoping it’s just the relay but time will tell over the next few days

3. Gareth Whyley New Member

Another Update

Thought I’d take my partner to work so I could see what the car was doing. I appear to be back at square one. The car runs fine again and doesn’t sound like it wants to die. However, the random judder is back. Something has to be faulty somewhere, this issue only really started a week or two ago. Surely if it was the fuel pump I’d be having issues all the time and it wouldn’t run that well.

4. daNpy Forum Member

So now it could be
    - the other coil is defective as well
    - it's the wiring, not the coil
    - one or more injectors is not fit anymore
    - the ECU has issues. This can be measured with a scope, perhaps?

5. Gareth Whyley New Member

The coil I currently have in the vehicle which I forgot to say is that when I flash. use the indicators or use the wipers, the rev needle flickers. The revs do not increase though.

I do still have another coil which I purchased a while ago. Only issue I have with that one which I noticed as soon as it went in was that when I turn the key to power the car, the REV counter needle goes up and comes back down, but other than that I have no issues with it.

As I have another coil I will give that a go first. I do also have a spare ECU which has a immobiliser delete chip. I could also give that a try. I will try the other coil first though.

6. daNpy Forum Member

It also sounds like a earthing problem, I also had strange this when the lights were on, all due to faulty mass connection.

Check the brown wires from the headlights and blinkers as well. And all of them behind the fusebox. There should be a earth-connector with multiple spades on the A-pillar next to it.

7. Gareth Whyley New Member

I'll take a look when I get time. Is this a case of looking for a damaged / loose wire?

Thinking about it, what should hold the coil in place? Should it just be two screws with nuts the other side holding it? Cause mine is one with a screw with a nut, then the other one looks like an earth strap with a screw that goes through with a nut. Could it be that strap? Do I even require that strap?

8. daNpy Forum Member

Did you already replace/check the sparkplugs and wires?

9. Gareth Whyley New Member

I replaced all sparks last Wednesday, and I replaced the leads a few days later as one of the inside of the leads broke. The piece that attached to one of the sparks came off the lead and stayed on the spark so they got replaced on Saturday

daNpy likes this.
  10. Gareth Whyley New Member

Okay, so I’ve still got the issue and I’m now noticing it only happens once the car is up to temp and been running for a while. Could this still be wiring or something else? I’m half tempted to swap the coil again

11. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Did you check for bad earths? Is the coil earthed properly. I know you say there is a strap but is it connected well enough.
    It also sounds like a warm earth problem. Did you change the relay in the end. Also, the ECU needs to be earthed, check that.

12. Gareth Whyley New Member

The earthing on the coil seems good. I've had a look around for bad earthing can't seem to find anything. I'll have a check with the ECU.