Mk2 Golf GTI 16V power Needed

Discussion in '16-valve' started by stephenhop, Jul 31, 2004.

1. stephenhop New Member

Hi guys, whats my best option to get some extra bhp at pretty low cost. ive found a 4 into 1 manifold (stainless)that claims to give 10+bhp from awesome gti 235 plus fitting. i have a powerflow stainless now but no stainless manifold, and a k&n panel filter, no other mods thats im aware of, in an ideal world i wont about 160bhp is that possible ? i heard something about a mod that stealth racing do but i forget what it was, but it give you 150bhp in a standard car is that correct ? can anybody advice ?
    Edited by: stephenhop

2. mad-mechanic New Member

there are some bits that can be done to give it more go the mod that stealth do is called a wur mod witch is an adjustment of the warm up regulator that increase fuel delivery during the rev range and is effective and also the exhaust cam mod is alos gr8 bang for your buk witch is on here at the minute well worth doin.with manifold and filter and cam mod and a stealth turn shud see 160 to 170 bhp no problem. [:D]

3. mad-mechanic New Member

it is also possible to get very close to the 200bhp mark with the fitting of a 2l bottom end and gives awsome torque too.

4. Southy_GTI Forum Member

I wouldnt call 145ft/lb give or take "Awsome"

5. flusted Forum Member

Get to stealth is the way forward.Ive just been,and as you can see from my sig,they get good results every time!

6. mad-mechanic New Member

if you gona start talkin crap and trying to be negative on this forum i dont think you shud be posting on here as it is ment to help people that need halp and advise.and some wud consider a nice in crease in torque and awsome thing and to go up to 150 lb with a few mods that are cheap and easy is in its self and awsome mod or wonderful or fantasic pik the word that suits you most mate i dont give a flyin f***.if your not gona be helpful to the person that is asking for it why bother typing it????? it just a thread hijack as i spose this is but it needs to said.if gained much information of here and learnt new tricks and iv rebuilt cozzys and a few gt2 race cars so i know what im on about.sorry to hijack your thread stephenhop but it pi**es me off when people have to right stupid and neadless stuff in a very inforative and usful forum. [:x]

7. Guests Banned

if i book my valver in at stealth. would they tune it while i was there. since its so far i cant really leave it with them?

i think im going for a rolling road with the no rice crew in a week or so.....do you think he could do it then if i paid him or is it something that takes a long time

cheers

8. H8SV8S Forum Member

Fit a 2.0 bottom end or complete 9a lump, using your KR cams. The 1.8 16v feels plenty torquey in a Mk1, but I dunno about a Mk2...

9. stephenhop New Member

Hi Mad i Agree, there is simply no need to comment like that at all. i asked for advice not a slanging match ;)

10. stephenhop New Member

Hi, Should i go for the 4 into 1 from awesome is it worth 235 ? or they have a full magnex inc manifold for 365 plus fitting. ? does anybody know how much the other mods are from stealth ? ive just replaced my metering head because i was f**king about and broke it, my replacement airbox isnt drilled , my old 1 had 4x 15mm holes in the wings side, should i do this to my new 1 ? will it improve performance ,

thanks for any advice given .

11. matt d Forum Member

Usefull advice here i hope [:D] ,Don't buy anything yet until you get your car to Stealth. Vince will get your car running perfectly and when he's finished he will be happy to advise you on the best way to get more from your engine. Vince will only advise you on mods that will suit your needs and he might feel a 4-branch is a waste of money which would save you a few hundred quid.
    You could buy a two litre for that money ;) (i suppose you still have a 1.8?)

12. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Recardo, not usually time to do any tuning on a group rolling road day, I always wait for my car as it's a 2 hr drive to Stealth.

I'd buy a 2 litre bottom end before a 4 branch... :)

13. stephenhop New Member

It looks like im gona be speakin to stealth then. its about 100 miles from manchester. hope he doesnt need the car for weeks, i could always take a tent :)

14. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

Couple of hours and you will be driving out of there...

15. stephenhop New Member

G_V_K ive seen a few clips of your car its wicked m8,

how much of a weight factor is full leather interior and electric windows ect, would it make much diffence if i sold my leather trim and got a pair of buckets and a rollcage? . how much weight would i shed ? if any? the seats are recaro semi buckets and a standard bench rear no headrests on the back front and rear cards.

cheers

16. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Usually, the roll cage weighs as much as the full interior (standard front seats,rear seat,parcel shelf etc) So you really need some light seats to counter-act that weight gain.

I've got an OMP seat in the driver's side but kept the standard passenger's seat at the mo. No rear seat, stereo gear or anything else in there 'cept the carpet.

Not weighed my car yet, so don't know how it compares to a standard 16v.

17. mad-mechanic New Member

what sort of air filter do you run on your valver gvk? iv bin looking at a foam filter that is pulled over a cage so that it replaces the bottom of the air box then was gona fit a wing vent and fit plate engine side of filter to stop it sucking in hot air. does this sound worth while or a waste of time? im sure it gona sound nice but id like it to have more go for the show.

cheers :)

18. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Quite a few people on here don`t rate the foam filters highly, me included, piperX one you`re on about is foam. Can`t be a modded airbox and a k+n imho, but then again the paper filter is more than adequate!

I found better midrange with my 4branch magnex but other people haven`t? I`d fit another one if i swapped cars.

Mild cams can give you more power as well, or the twin ex cam mod but 2l is the way to go really ;)

19. flusted Forum Member

Im runnin the piper x with a carbon heatshield. Can only help cant it!? I love the noise aswell!!
    Id love to put a 2l in mine but theres no such engine on the Isle of Wight! we havent even got a motorway :lol:

20. stephenhop New Member

it might be an idea to forget the rollcage for now and just strip the seats and rear end out and get some buckets and harnesses. or do i need a cage to attach the harness too ?

whats the best way to mod my airbox my old 1 had 4 15mm holes side by side in the wing side in the bottom section i also removed the panel from the inner wing. can somebody please advice