mk2 golf gti 8v won't start!!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by mk2mike, Nov 28, 2010.

1. mk2mike New Member

Hi,

My golf cut out and had to be towed on the way home last friday. NIghtmare!!!

it felt as though it had ran out of fuel - coughing to a stand stil,

Even though there was a little fuel left i put a tenners worth in. stil won't work!!

The RAC guy had to tow me home. he thinks its fuel pressure related.

When i turn over the key the fuel pump comes on but when i fully turn over the ignition it bubbles and coughs and almost starts then cuts out.

The more i turn the ignition on and off to get the pump to feed the engine, before fully starting it the better it sounds. As if i am building up pressure then it coughs and nearly starts.

I had a problem with it cutting out last week also but that was more electrical so i changed the leads and it was ok.

Could this mean i need a new pump even though it turns on?? or is it to do with the thing near the injectors?? some kind of diaphragm???

Or could it mean something else??

I just can't afford a garage to spend hours diagnosing it only to not fix it!!

This thing is draining me of my money and sanity!! Please help!!

2. alexisblades99 Forum Member

Sounds like the lift pump in the tank to me. Mine went last year, with the same symptoms.

In the boot, under the carpet, there's a round-ish black plate held on with three screws, hold your ear to that and have someone turn the key to make the pump prime. You should hear the lift pump run when the main pump primes, if not you may need to replace it, but do check the wiring first.