Mk2 Golf Gti kangarooing/juddering at 3000-3500 rpm

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by oscar fuller, Jul 21, 2020.

1. oscar fuller New Member

Hi I own a 1990 mk2 golf gti 8v and when I’m on the motorway or overtaking and the revs are around 3000-3500 rpm the car starts juddering and kangarooing and I have to either floor it or ease off to get back to normal. It pretty much only happens in 5th not really in lower gears. I have checked the distributor cap, leads and plugs as well as the main air intake pipe and all seems gd I am also fairly confident the the fuel pump is working correctly. Can anyone help me?

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Must just be a vibration at that speed, possibly causing s bad connection to act up. Or else something in the MAF. I had one doing similar once, cleaning the track in the air flow meter, and the contacts on the plug on it (they were corroded / worn on the lower side) stopped it.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. oscar fuller New Member

Thanks for your speedy replies will try and work those through today and let you know

Tristan likes this.
  5. oscar fuller New Member

The contacts on the MAF looked good but gave them a clean anyway but when testing the resistance across the pins it was too high could this be a reason? I also gave the allen bolt for the CO levels a quarter turn and the car did seem to run a lot better but there was still slight juddering.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sounds like you're almost there, once you're happy everything checks out if you have a friendly local garage who will take some handy tax free back pocket money nice to have it set up on their pro co analyser