Mk2 Golf IHI track car... Rear body work and door catches

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by 1.8T_mk2, Dec 9, 2009.

1. danielo New Member

Great work so far, it looks brilliant.

2. 1.8T_mk2

1.8T_mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Mike, If it looks half as good as yours I'll be well pleased! :thumbup:

Cheers Mate :thumbup:

3. 1.8T_mk2

Had a day out to pick up the new wheels. Ex BTCC Seat wheels :thumbup: Cheers Nick they are just the job!

Then back to work on the wheel arch...

Now that I had the wheels I was going to run I could check to see how much of the arch I needed to remove at rear. So I removed the engine, refitted the steering rack, hub, wishbone and shock (set a ride height) to check the steering lock. I then marked out what needed to be removed and made a big hole!

photo-174.JPG photo-175.JPG photo-176.JPG photo-177.JPG photo-172.JPG photo-173.JPG photo-171.JPG

I'm quite pleased with it so far. I need to tidy the part where the arch meets the floor but apart from that it's going quite well. I'd like to get this side done by the weekend and the other side done by the weekend after that. Should give me a good chance of getting to drive it this year then!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  4. 16valver Forum Member

:o

That is some pretty serious surgery there!!

Good luck with it all.

5. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

+1

:thumbup:

6. 1.8T_mk2

Cheers guys :thumbup:

7. 1.8T_mk2

Got a bit more done today...

I decided to cut the rest of the inner arch out and make the new panel in one piece rather than two. It will be stronger, save on welding and will just look nicer.

photo-180.JPG

photo-183.JPG photo-182.JPG photo-181.JPG photo-179.JPG photo-178.JPG photo-180.JPG

Well chuffed :thumbup:

Need to finish welding it in and then it's on to the other side.

8. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Man, Thats an insane ammount of work! Well done for sticking with it:thumbup:

9. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Come and do mine when you're finished :thumbup:

10. mec82 Forum Member

looks a lot like a 90's super tourer wheel arches, very cool [8D]

11. numbnuts Forum Member

lovely metal work on this:clap:

12. 1.8T_mk2

Yeah not a problem mate, I might be able to sqeaze you in about this time 2015 :thumbup:

Cheers mate :thumbup:, that's where I got the idea from ;)

13. 1.8T_mk2

Quick update...

Been lagging behind due to not enough hours in the day / too much work but I have been making slow progress...

Finished the welding on the 1st arch

photo-185.JPG photo-186.JPG photo-188.JPG photo-187.JPG photo-189.JPG photo-184.JPG

Made and fitted the new panel for the front of the inner wing...

photo-193.JPG photo-190.JPG photo-191.JPG photo-185.JPG photo-186.JPG photo-188.JPG photo-187.JPG photo-189.JPG

Also managed to test fit the bonnet and wing...

photo-194.JPG

One down one to go!

Also made some progress on the front suspension but I need to re-enter some numbers in the string computer to double check it will work out as planned.

Thats all for now :thumbup:

14. 1.8T_mk2

Well it's been a long time since the last update and quite a bit has changed...

While helping out with the BMW in the Kumho Cup I got envolved with another car so I haven't had much time of late to work on the golf as I've been working on this...

photo-364.JPG

It's an M3 E36 Compact with the 3.2Evo lump. Is running aprox 350bhp.

It was an Ex ITCC car and was running in the Kumho until a month ago. The plan was to drive this car for the rest of the season as the car he was renting was very uncompetitive and we knew this car was quick from it's earlier form. The only problem being that the new owner is 6'5" tall and was unable to drive the car in it's current condition due to the poor fitment of the cage not allowing for any more rearward adjustment of the seat. He was also unhappy the the current condtion of the car and wants it resprayed inside and out.

So from buying a race ready car we are now down to this...

photo-1766.JPG photo-2022.JPG photo-1969.JPG photo-2205.JPG photo-364.JPG

The car is currently away getting a T45 multipoint cage fitted and should be back with me this week to begin the rebuild.

So while its away I've had a chance to get some proper work done!

photo-200.JPG photo-195.JPG photo-196.JPG photo-197.JPG photo-198.JPG photo-199.JPG photo-1184.JPG photo-1812.JPG photo-1907.JPG photo-2091.JPG photo-1224.JPG photo-2107.JPG photo-2173.JPG

Next job on the list is to make up some dummy suspension legs so I can check the ride height and shock travel with the new layout. Soon as I can get some numbers down I can get it ordered and get it fitted! Really wanted to get it out on track this year but now with the Kumho Cup car work it's not looking good. [8(]

15. mattdub05 New Member

awesome dedication to a build, looks like theres been alot of research also to get where you want to be! I'd imagine your eagerly wanting to get back on track?! great inspiration keep up the great build!

16. neo badness Paid Member Paid Member

Read this right through and, without wishing to repeat all the other comments, I am very impressed with the build so far.

Like the shrinker stretcher, going to have to invest in one as well as a decent swager for my own workshop.
    Imo a plasma cutter is highly recommended if you're doing lots of intricate cutting as you can end up spending a fortune in cutting discs, you look like you do enough fabrication to justify it. Plus they have the added bonus of looking really cool too.

Look forward to seeing the development/benefit of the strut relocation as was considering something like this myself so finding your build very informative. Keep up the good work.:thumbup:

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Updates required!! ;)

18. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

I think its the same as it was, i dropped in the other day as was doing some work for one of the BMW race cars. Had a good look round the car. When its finished it will be awesome on track.

19. 1.8T_mk2

Hello!!!!!!

It seems like an eternity has passed since my last update but I am pleased to say that work on the golf has resumed and when photobucket is working properly I'll post up some photos of the latest developments.

In short I've spent the last few months looking after the BMW in the Kumho cup and have not had a lot of time spare to work on the golf as the BMW build / racing has taken up a lot of time. With only one more trackday booked with the BMW in December I'm looking forward to concentrating on the golf over the winter and hopefully being able to drive it at some point next year.

20. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Yay! Was wondering how your project was getting on.

Gurds