Mk2 golf manual to power steering

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by bones, May 28, 2012.

1. bones

bones Paid Member Paid Member

can I get away with just changing the UJ so i can fit my new power steering rack?

If its yes- does anyone have one??

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I may just have a spare uj.

I assume you have all the brackets, hoses, bolts, pulleys and pump etc?

Gurds

3. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

I have a Mk3 UJ available, which fits as I have used them before.

Is this to use a PAS rack as a manual rack with the fluid in and out joined together on the rack?

4. turbotommy Forum Member

You'll have to swap the Boots over too mind,the manual one is longer.
    I have a spare PAS one but it has small tears in it (2 x iirc) you could repair it with rubber glue or a puncture repair kit,as they are no longer available for sensible money (43.00 iirc)

5. bones

hi all
    yes its to run this as a manual "looped" power steering rack. Ive seen the loops available for years and thought id give it a go,. I have the rack and the boot, but the splined shaft is wider on a pas rack and higher too.
    As long as the PAS UJ fits onto a manual column, then its a winner. Ill gladly buy one is anyone has one spare. Im sure ive got it here somewhere but its too hot to go through the loft
    RE: Ben S
    Is a mk3 one a straight fitment? Im sure theres a couple of MK3s down ta scrappy

6. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Yes straight fitment. mk3 item is made up of three bits that bolt together, easier to fit and remove

7. bones

scrapyard her i come!!!!

Thanks Ben!!

8. WillG

WillG Forum Member

I thought the mk3 spline was different again to a mk2 PAS spline (again different to non-PAS) as I've had to buy one to fit a mk3 rack to my mk2.

9. bones

ill soon find out (if im lucky to find one at the scrappy) but failing that, if anyone has a mk2 PAS UJ then id like to buy it please

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Cool. I have all the pas stuff lying about plus a leaking rack. Just give me a decent offer for the UJ and it's yours.

Gurds

11. bones

Mk3 rack doesnt fit
    : ((

Hi Gurds
    Its just the UJ I need (i think) as i hope that will just fix onto the bottom of my manual column. What would you like for it posted ?? Please pm me
    thankyou

12. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

??

I have fitted Mk3 PAS rack & MK3 UJ to a Mk2 and it was all good.

Maybe there are differences between year / model of Mk3?

13. Kav1187 Forum Member

Hi guys...yep there are differences. Earlier Mk3 (non GTI) had smaller splines. Some later models, GTIs and VR6 had bigger splines on the rack.

The mk3 rack will fit onto a mk2 subframe...I know this because I've done it on both my conversions.

I think the mk2 steering column spline may have changed in size on the later models but I've got one of these going spare if need be.

I have a mk2 PAS UJ from an '89 - 20 delivered. PM if interested.

Hope this helps.

Kav

Last edited: Jun 12, 2012
  14. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

Might be a good idea to do a table with the spline sizes and dates / models that the appeared on.
    This will be a good reference for future readers.