mk2 golf R32 water temperature gauge

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by daljsd, Jun 21, 2014.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

do you mean the mpg signal wire for a mk3/4 cluster? on the mk4 ecu its pin 81 on the late type usually, sometimes the wire isnt there but if you add it to the pin im pretty sure it will work. but on the mk5 I dont see it and chances are adding the wire wont work either :(

you may be able to flash mk4 firmware onto the mk5 ecu, same as you can flash a 2.8 ecu with 3.2 ecu firmware to get r32 ecu without the scene tax :thumbup:

edit: though if you could reflash a mk5 ecu this would mean messing about with the sensor side as a couple bits n bobs differ I think, something about cam position sensors...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I dont need the MPG signal, I dont want to look at that ever![:|]lol

The temps would be good though. From memory it's just all 0.00 on the MFA. Am i missing a wire to get it working?

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

is this a mk2 or mk3 dash? either way the oil temp is a sender on the filter housing, for that you'll need a T piece and a sender off donor car. outside temp is in the inner wing passenger side mk2, behind driver side bumper light blank on mk3. speed & distance both internal to the clocks, and finally mpg on mk2 has a vacuum connection and a wire on mk3 clocks :)

wiring wise its G1/2 and G2/2 for the outside temp, and G2/1 for oil temp :)

4. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

[​IMG]

mat-mk3 likes this.
  5. taks CGTI Committee Paid Member

Mocal sandwich plate
    Then I just asked for the inside double side threaded tube thing to be vr6 and instructed original cooler removed so I could get the right length. Then a specified vr6 end cap. 16row rad which is enough for my application (in fact have to blank some of it off in the colder months)
    You can see the inline sensor holder- just remembered that they tapped it for me to accept metric m10x1(?) for the sensor thread
    Cheers

mat-mk3 likes this.
  6. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Excellent thanks! Looks like I will be doing that when I change the oil.