Mk2 GTI 16V KR runs rough after few kilometers

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Vörös Marcell, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Vörös Marcell New Member

Hey. I have a mk2 GTI 16V with a KR K-jet engine, and I have some problems with it. I use it for rallycross racing, but the right now the 2nd cylinder not working properly after a few racing kilometers. I unplugged cylinder 2 and nothing changed so I think its misfiring or not running at all.
    Things I tried:
    checked for vacuum leaks
    got new:
    injectors
    ignition rotor, cap, cables, spark plugs (Denso IK22FTT Iridium), ignition module
    adjusted the k-jet, syncronized all 4 injectors
    Things to know about the car: it has a high pressure fuel pump, and it hasn't got a warm-up regulator. I bought it like this, and it worked like a charm for some races.
    Compression is around 13 bar in every cylinder.
    Any ideas? Thanks!
    Video about the issue:

2. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

Does it do it when it’s been ticking over and warm or only when driving it

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

4. Vörös Marcell New Member

Only when driving, if I’m in the pits, I let it cool down a little, and the car is in N, it screams when I floor it like it should, but when I go back on the track, it dies again.

Yes I tried it, they brand new Bosch injectors so they are spraying perfectly. I also tried switching injectors from one cylinder to another, but the problem stays at cylinder 2.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
  5. rubjonny

did you manage to check the pattern while it was playing up (hard I know) wondering if theres some issue with heat affecting metering head though would be an odd failure...

maybe check the sparkplug when its not firing see if it seems dry compared to the rest, also check for a spark on that cylinder? only other thing I can think of is distributor but again if its firing on the other 3 seems odd. maybe the trigger wheel is slightly warped and only messes up the firing when it gets hot? a good way to test that theory is flip the dizzy 180 degrees moving all the leads to suit and see if the problem stays on that cylinder or moves

Vörös Marcell likes this.
  6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

So it's only under load? Has to be fuel or spark so. If not injectors, at the metering head, or else in the ignition.

What's the injector seal like?

Unlikely to be valve or valve timing related.

7. Vörös Marcell New Member

I forgot to mention, I checked the spark and it’s really weak in every cylinder, compared to my mk2 1.8 GU, and all the brand new spark plugs got very black.

8. rubjonny

ok you tried another ignition module I see, was it a good quality one? try the one off your GU engine its the same assuming you're still on the standard KR ignition system, may as well try the coil as well while you're there. the ignition module earths to the battery and the ecu earths to the head, check you have good coil voltage too

Vörös Marcell likes this.
  9. Vörös Marcell New Member

If I remember right, my uncle tried to flip it 180 degrees, but I think this thread was fckd, so we couldn’t tighten it. Something like this happened with one of the threads I’m sure about that.
    [​IMG]

10. Vörös Marcell New Member

It's a Maxgear, so not the best, I'll order a better one, with a new coil as well. What do you mean with the ECU? I don't have any ECU [:D]

11. rubjonny

I mean the KR ignition control unit in the scuttle near the ignition module. its still a Control Unit, which is Electronic ;)

12. Vörös Marcell New Member

I literally don’t have it. Maybe that could be the problem?

13. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

It's certainly a good reason for a weak spark!

It's actually a spark amplifier as I recall.

Vörös Marcell and Vinnie like this.
  14. rubjonny

if you have a base ignition amp->dizzy setup it'll still spark you up fine, just there is no ignition advance control if you set it up like that. this is all the kr ecu does

Vörös Marcell and Vinnie like this.
  15. Vörös Marcell New Member

Thanks for the ideas, finally, I decided to swap the engine to an ABF, because it's more reliable, and easier to racing with. Cheers guys!