MK2 GTI 8V Exhaust

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by RogerT, May 29, 2012.

1. Dohcta New Member

Do your indicators still work when you flick them on? Or is it then you get a continual green light?

Had the same issue in my mk2, turned out to be a relay issue! Replaced that and all sorted

2. RogerT New Member

Exhaust was fitted on the weekend and I used the car today for work. I am really pleased with product, it has a nice boom without a drone and has not affected the performance of the car. In fact the exhaust note really suits the car. This was a worthwhile purchase and I would recommend this system.

Also the green light issue is resolved (loose wire) do all that s left to do now is treat the slightly faded plastic and sort out the roof lining.

My gti is back

Regards

Roger

3. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Fitted mine today. As I said its a bargain. The hangers are not the best but still fits quite well.

In all honesty a Euro parts exhaust is better quality but if you are on a budget then you can't go wrong with this.

Exhaust sounds like all the standard systems - A deep tone on idle then quietens down when you go up the rev range.

4. jonlikescad Forum Member

Great updates guys, very much appreciated!

5. Cheg

Cheg Forum Member

Any photos of how it fits with the rear bumper?
    Thanks!

6. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I purchased the 8v front silencer (gun barrel shape) for my 16v yesterday (yes 16v -it already had a good 8v exhaust and down pipe fitted but with a big hole in this front silencer) I had originally bought a second hand scorpion upswept from someone on the forums but they neglected to tell me the baffles were screwed, so I'm now going back down the route of re-fitting the original 8v exhaust but with one of these Hoffman silencers.

Can anyone tell me if the fitment is ok when mixing and matching a Hoffman part with genuine VW mid silencer and back box? I guess it's not a major problem if they don't match up as I can always get the other 2 parts for about 50, but would be nice to save the pennies!

7. Blue MK2 Forum Member

Cant see the issue with mixing and matching. The bore size is the same.

Cheg - the backbox pic will come shortly. Also forgot to mention that the Euro Parts one has polished tips like OE, this Hoffman does not. I prefer the polished tips.

8. RogerT New Member

I would say the exhaust looks identical to the original vw item it replaced. Can't say I noticed the polished tips - perhaps I was on the original exhaust still that was carboned up

I didn't fit the exhaust myself so could not comment on the hangers but I certainly would not class product 'budget' - just good value. The vw heritage one would have cost +150 so the saving of 80 will go nicely towards the bbs rs wheels I hanker after.

Regards

Roger

9. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Plus, what is to stop you polishing the tips yourself?! Half hour job to get them looking sparkling!

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just make sure you do it in private

11. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I do mine on my driveway in full view of my neighbours! :thumbup:

How are you doing for time regarding an ABF swap these days John?! I've got all the gear.... :)

12. rubjonny

november at the earliest for loom work, i have 40 in at the moment :o

13. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Wow, busy man! On top of your day job? Or are you a full time VW technician now? ;)

I was thinking more along the lines of major assistance doing one of your famous weekend complete swaps - we were going to do this a few years ago before I bottled it and sold my mk2! But now I have both a good mk2 base and an ABF waiting...

14. rubjonny

yeah on top of my day job, keeping the wife happy and redecorating the new house. thats why i have 40 :lol:

you're a bit late for a full swap from me now dude im faaaaaar too busy for that, i can give phone assistance though ;)

if you're keepign it on k-jet then its a piece o wee, unbolt old engine, remove, refit abf after swapping over any sensors that differ, tweak ignition timing, idle and co then DONE

15. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

I'm sure it can be straight forward - my only issue is I have 2 cars, one is a daily, one is a project, I can afford to take some holiday to merge the 2 into one awesome mk2 beast, but if I don't have it completed during that time off work because of difficulties or lack of expertise, i'm stuffed!

If you ever get some free time and want to help a fellow VW enthusiast out as well as make some cash let me know! :thumbup:

EDIT* On topic, received the front barrel silencer today, so look forward to (not at all) trying to fit it all at the weekend! IT looks good quality (and certainly isn't light!)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2012
  16. Blue MK2 Forum Member

If you polish the tips they will go rusty. Tried this on my last exhaust and that was using fine sand paper and then finished off with a mop. Water left on the pipes just caused rust spots.

No one likes a rusty tip

17. jonlikescad Forum Member

mild steel doesn't polish so good.

18. Dennis10

Dennis10 Forum Member

Just to update for anyone thinking of buying the Hoffman stuff - I received my front barrel silencer last week, fitted it (plus the middle and back box originals I already had) on Sunday and it is a perfect fit! Great quality item and for around 16 you just can't go wrong.

I removed my not so great 2nd hand item with knackered baffles, which while sounding great on full chat, vibrated a bit when cruising - the OEM items are now whisper quiet! When I went to take some stuff down the tip and was idling while chucking stuff I had to check the engine was still running!

Incidently, if anyone wants a cosmetically excellent full 16v scorpion exhaust, which has knackered baffles but doesnt mind a bit of noise, you can have it for peanuts, 10 - collected! No good to me, my days of excessive noise are over! :)

19. jonlikescad Forum Member

Cheers Dennis, I'm definitely going to order one of these now [:D]

20. jonlikescad Forum Member

Woop, ordered! Wonder if it will be here for weekend fitting!