MK2 Gti & MK2 driver

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by logieuk, Feb 5, 2010.

1. logieuk Forum Member

Hey all,

If you have a MK2 GTI say, bit rottern. But the mechanical side is fine along with the kit. Is it a simple case to swap it all over to the driver?

I know with the 205, the GTI comes with different metal parts on it which cant be put on like bumpers for example. My previous GTI, i cant recall anything like this.

Just looking at a GTI and a driver. If its a case of being able to swap it all over, might have a Golf in a few weeks \o/

One more, will the V5 change to a GTI or just be a moddified Driver?

Regards

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

everything from gti direct for to driver, all required mountings are there. trouble comes if fuseboxes do not match, pre-90 CE1 has hazard switch on dash, post-90 CE2 have it on the column. the fuesbox is different, as are loads of other bits. you can convert either way though.

basically, I'd be happy converting CE1 to CE2, but not the other way around. CE2 fusebox is a much better design. not the end of the world if fuseboxes dont match, you can usually find an engine loom to suit. only issue is if you have a k-jet gti and a ce2 driver, no k-jet 8v engine exists for CE2. you could modify a CE2 16v loom to fit though.

basically what year are both cars, and where are the hazard switches?

3. logieuk Forum Member

88 GTI and the Drivers range from 88-91 that im looking at. But if the hazard switch is in the same place on both cars, trouble free swap? ;)

4. rubjonny

yup! just be aware that driver has no wiring for the fuel pump, so either way you'll have to either drag the entire loom from fusebox to rear of car and swap, or chop out njust the fuel pump part and splice it in. loom removal isnt as scary as it sounds though, lift carpet up and out it ccomes. wiring to the tailgate disconnects at the passenger side C pillar so no need to drag it out of there either.

if at all possible go for CE2, but dont worry too much, just find the nicest shell you can get! as i say even if driver is ce2 and gti is ce1, its not massive deal. 88on have digi engien so CE2 engine loom is available. if it was me tho, id get a CE2 carby, and a 2.0 16v engine from a MK3, or the whole car as a donour! ;)

5. logieuk Forum Member

Yea sounds good, im finding that people want daft money for there GTI's, not being honest about the condition and mileage.

Theres some great drivers around aswell. The good thing is with the golfs there so much upgrades available! If i can pick up a decent Driver for 500, leaves me with 1k to spend on upgrades/repairs etc

Not sure how much a 2Ltr costs, as i have been out the VW scence for a good few years.

Only pain thing is waiting for my current stuff to sell, just spoke to my sis about the 944, she wants a week to think about it.... Which means if she said no, its on ebay, thats another week waiting, not including being messed around!

Gagging for another MK2, loved working on my previous and getting my hands dirty! [:D]

6. rubjonny

what you want is a rusty old mk3 mot fail, or SEAT Ibiza/Toledo if you're lucky! 2.0 16v lumps have fallen in price recent as more mk3s rot away and get broken. if you get a MK3/SEAT donor you have everything you need for a conversion still, unless you get a MK3 and want big brakes but dont fancy 5 stud/wide track. then all you need is some hubs and possibly driveshafts. SEAT ABF are all 4 stud, and more closely based on MK2 Golfy as well

7. logieuk Forum Member

Thanks for the info, sounds the better plan. Also, rather keep the 4 stud.

On my last MK2, doing VR6 conversion. I put on a MK3 VR6 axle and had trouble with the brake pressure reg or something, so rather just put on new suspension and hubs with discs for the rear etc.

8. rubjonny

right, for the prerssure reg on the mk2 you need to replace the passenger side beam mount braket with a GTI one, plus lines. however, if you find a 1.8 gl/driver this will probably have one already :)

9. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Always considered doing the Driver to Gti thingy after my 87 PB was stolen, crashed and recovered. Did not in the end as I found an Irish 1987 EV without a sunroof.
    Point being, you can get Mk2 Drivers sans sunroof!
    Just remembered the big snag! You would need to source a black, non-sunroof, head lining from Europe.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  10. logieuk Forum Member

Well set back already, just had a call to say my Garage has subside by 2" and needs to come down as its unsafe.

Rent the house, so i imagine they will just brick the wall off now, remove garage and extend garden which would be cheapest option :(

11. rubjonny

well could always request it stay paved over at least. i do everything on the flat area outside my garage! trouble is where to store all your bits, maybe a small shed ;)

12. logieuk Forum Member

Mrs just offered to buy me a shed if we lose the Garage, i imagine we get a drive way which would be ok, parking is murder in the City centre and i imagine it would devalue the house.

13. rubjonny

driveway is all you need :lol:

[​IMG]

14. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ive currently converted my 1992 MK2 Driver to a 8v GTi, and its nearly finished...

Click on the clicky in my Sig at the bottom, should be very useful....

Tbh, there seems to be more mint Drivers out there than GTi's.
    My Driver has a really mint shell, and when i took it off the road, i decided to keep it and convert it, rather than pay over the odds for a mint one.

Its been really cheap to convert. Its hasn't even cost me over 600 yet.
    But i wouldn't of been able to do it if it wasn't for everyone on here, especially Runjonny :thumbup: - Top man...

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010