MK2 Gti Swirl pot inlet valve

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Ben Whitley, Jun 4, 2018.

1. Ben Whitley New Member

Hi, I'm using the MK2 swirl pot on my VW t25 which I've just converted to run an AGG engine.

The conversion has been running great but the within the MK2 gti swirl pot housing was really loud so yesterday I put a spare bosch one in to test the volume on that one. Wish i hadn't now as when i was draining the swirl pot down a plastic clip, spring and little bit of rubber fell into the catch bowl. The engine wouldn't fire with the old pump in so swapped back to the working but loud one, but now the engine will run (just) but it's really lumpy and as soon as I blip the throttle the engine stalls - just as if it's run out of petrol.
    I've tried every which way to put little bits back into the inlet pipe but the engine still won't run properly. Weirdly the engine behaves the same with the pump wired in reverse too.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uzShdoTSYvB870Rz1

I'm not using a lift pump from the tank as the Van tank doesn't have anywhere to fit one.

Can anyone help me to understand how to put the little bits back into the inlet?

Cheers,
    Ben

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if there is no pre-supply pump to keep the mk2 pump housing fed this will be why it's loud as they really dont like having to drag fuel up from inside the fuel tank. doesn't have to be a lifter pump in the tank, an external one is ok so long as they dont mind running dry and are designed to suck fuel up from inside a fuel tank. facet or similar should do you.

the piccy looks to be the plastic insert from the swirl pot inlet at the bottom, looks like it functions as a non-return valve perhaps. never pulled one of those off so I cant say for sure how it goes together, but I'd assume the spring goes in first then the plastic pin, then the white insert holds it all in place

3. Ben Whitley New Member

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

something like that yeah, you would insert it inline with the pipe from the tank to the bottom of the mk2 pump housing :)

I would just fit all the bits back into the housing either way, unless its bust and wont go in properly

5. Ben Whitley New Member

Cool cheers ;o)

6. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I fried a brand new main pump in next to no time due to a knackerd lift pump in my Mk2 16v..

7. Ben Whitley New Member

Hopefully I’ve not fried mine, got a primer pump on order kow, so hopefully i can fit it at the weekend and all will be good

KeithMac likes this.
  8. KeithMac Forum Junkie

If the main pum still runs you should be fine!.