Mk2 head question

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Golf Mk iii, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Golf Mk iii New Member

Hey... I have just bought a 1986 mk2 gti 8v. I have a flowed head, piper cam, and stainless manifold off my 2E block from my old mk3 8v. Is it possible to fit this head etc onto the mk2 block? i presume it is possible, but is it alot of work? changes to the wiring or fuel pump required?

Or would it just be easier to sell this head for mk2 head?

Thanks alex

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

You could fit the whole Mk2 lump, but you need the inlet manifold and TB to go with it, along with the Mk3 management, or the digifant version from a late Mk2.

Alternatively you could convert it to megasquirt to get the best out of it.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

fit the mk2 head to the 2e block as well as a new clutch and your old flywheel and everything will drop straight in. Only issue is if your old lump is k-jet which I suspect it is, you'll need to fit the dizzy adaptor kit from TSR so your old k-jet dizzy will fit the 2e lump. You may need to swap the dizzy gear over as well, I can't remmber if the TSR kit includes it.

4. Golf Mk iii New Member

Hey guys thanks for your replys...

sorry guys but just to avoid confusion, i want to fit the P+P'd 2E head from the mk3 to the old k-jet bottom end off the mk2... not the mk2 head to the 2e bottom end

the 2e head is already set up with the TB, AFM, inlet, and injector rail off the mk3... the bit that concerns me is the engine management... what does this consist of? changes to the wiring loom, ecu, and fuse box?

"You could fit the whole Mk2 lump"... i presume that you meant mk3 mike, as the whole mk2 lump is already in there:) but i understand that dropping in the whole 2e lump could be the best option, as i have got my old 2e bottom end sat in the garage too... is that more work than just changing the head?

what is megasquirt? sorry bout this, i'm only 20, this is only my second gti and i'm a bit of a novice!

5. rubjonny

Never gonna work with the std k-jet setup if thats what you have, but you could make it work on the 1.8 bottom ends using all the MK3 managment setup. Fit a MK2 digifant dizzy and thats the ign side sorted, for fueling what you do is chop up the rubber pipes running from the under car lines to the metewring head. once you do this you'll have a handy barbed fitting which you can push the 2e fuel rail pipes onto, use new fuel line clips to secure them properly. Existing zaust system will bolt right on, fit a MK2 digifant airbox to the 2e afm unit and rubber boot and robs your uncle.

however why you would want to do this is anyones guess, just fit the whole 2e lump instead!

edit: you might actually be able to fit k-jet fuel injector inserts into the 2e head, then you will be able to run it on k-jet, but it might take some tweaking! also getting the inlet boot hooked up might be troublesome...

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Sorry... i meant the Mk3 lump, yes.

The inlet ports on the Mk3 head are a different shape, so if you fit the Mk3 head, you need to fit the Mk3 inlet manifold, injectors, throttle body, etc. So you can't run KJet with this setup.

Your Mk2 might be a solid tappet head too (it's around the time they changed from solid to hydraulic tappets) so even the easier option of swapping the hot cam over (I think you said the Mk3 had a cam in it) might not work.

Alternatively, sell your tuned Mk3 bits and spend the money on bits that were meant for a Mk2.

Megasquirt... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megasquirt

It's a standalone engine management system, that you can use to map spark and fuelling to suit your engine.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  7. Mike_H Forum Addict

Won't fit - hole in 2.0 block too big. You know this, but seem to have temporarily gone mad during that post ;)

8. rubjonny

re-read his post, hes on about fitting 2e head to 1.8 block ;)