Mk2 mfa oil temp not displaying

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by arniks8, Aug 3, 2023.

1. arniks8 New Member

Since I bought the car oil temp wasn't working. Swaped in a ADY and while going over the wiring loom I cheked that oil temp wire is fine, also cheked the sensor in a different car, but still nothing in mfa. Could this be a cluster issue? When cluster was out during swap I didn't notice any broken traces on the blue thingy.

2. davidut5 Forum Member

You checked the sensor in another car and got no display? Doesn't that mean the sensor is not working?
    Mine also has no display until it warms up a bit.

3. H8V

h8v Forum Member

I think the oil temp doesn't show a reading until it's reached 50 degrees C.

daNpy likes this.
  4. daNpy Forum Member

This

5. arniks8 New Member

Well seems I had a stroke while typing [8-}]. I tried the sensor in a different car and it worked, I also put a sensor into my car from said other car, but my dash still didn't read oil temp

I'm aware of this, but I doubt that highway driving would't raise oil temp slighty above 50 :lol:

6. daNpy Forum Member

When the wire up to the MFA is correct (and low resistance) and the sensor is working, it looks like it's the MFA...
    Is there any other function also not working?

7. arniks8 New Member

Outside air temperature is also not working, but I removed sensor and wiring for my other mk2, oil didn't work when it was still in car. Is there a way to fix it somehow(as in swaping mfa display or something like that) or do I have to replace the cluster?

8. daNpy Forum Member

First you have to measure the foil as well I guess. They can be quite sensitive for breakages of the leads.

9. arniks8 New Member

By foil do you mean the blue strip with traces on back of the cluster?

10. daNpy Forum Member