Mk2 Not Starting - Problem Solved! YAY...

Discussion in '8-valve' started by Richard Mk2, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

[:D] At last hey lol :lol:

Now its time to find a good condition distributor...

2. Richard Mk2

Are they hard to remove rubjonny?

3. Mk2gti8v Forum Member

sorry to inturrupt, the info and advice on this thread is helpfull for my problems too. mines a 16v with running issues but a few bits on here i could check too.:).

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

sometimes! take the dizzy clamp off completly and it should if you're lucky just pull out of the block. refitting is reverse of removal, but fiddly as you have to try to fit it in the hole in such a way that as the dizzy gear engages the intermediate shaft gear, it also fits onto the oil pump drive slot. It will go back in eventually, keep at it!

if it wont come out, use a watchmaker screwdriver to dig out all the crud from the lip around the base of the dizzy, then drown it in penatrating oil. leave it for an hour and try again. One thing that I have had success with is to clamp some mole grips round the base, then give the grips some light taps with a hammer. you arnt trying to free it off with brute force, rather shock it loose. hammer the mole grips left & right, as if you were trying to rotate the dizzy rather than lift it upwards.

once done sit the dizzy so the rotor arm lines up with the notch on the dizzy housing, then refit the lead #1 where the arm is pointing and the rest in order 1 3 4 2. You'll then need to reset the ign timing as per my digi faq, then after that possibly reset the idle & co

5. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Rich I'll be round Saturday morning with the spare if you want. Might aswell rule it out before you buy one. Sounds like that's what it is aswell.

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

Be careful - there are some important differences. Post a thread with your problems in the 16v section for more assistance!

7. Richard Mk2

Finally, we got it to start today for the first time in a year!!!

Shaz came over with a spare dizzy and helped to fit it and set the timing correctly. Cheers again mate, much appreciated!!! :thumbup:

I could of actually been a timing issue tbh, but could have also been the dizzy.

It fired up straight away, and sounded great!!! Just need to get the captive bolt sorted and it will be ready for the road.

Also big thanks to rubjonny for suggesting above and for the help on the phone earlier, and to everyone else who help on this thread... :thumbup:

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

And fix that damn fan belt.

It sounds pretty evil, we'll need to see how it matches up against mine once it's done. That'll at least give us a good measure of how it runs.

9. Richard Mk2

I found out the cause...

The splines on the alternator were bent inwards, god knows how, and wasn't spinning properly...

Changed it to the other one and it working perfectly. I left it running for an hour today. The fans cutting in, the alternator is charging so its looking good :thumbup:

Have a quick look on my members thread, i put some pcitures up :thumbup:

10. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

So was that your old alternator or the one that came with the engine that was knackered?

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

:thumbup: Glad you got it sorted!

12. Richard Mk2

It was the one from my Driver, which i painted up and put on there.

I must have bent the splines somehow when storing it.

The one which came with the engine was perfect and works well so its all good. Just needs a good paint up tbh :thumbup:

13. Richard Mk2

Cheers Mike. Im just so glad to have it up and running :thumbup: