MK2 Rack into MK3

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Golf14, Feb 20, 2023.

1. Golf14 New Member

Hi all, I'm looking to convert my MK3 to a manual steering rack, I've got a new 18 spline MK2 rack but need the shaft/ UJ to connect to the column, has anyone else done this ? or know what parts / part numbers i need to use. i know some base models of MK3 had manual racks but cant seem to find any info for parts.
    Thanks.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

luckily you have the 18 tooth version, which means MK3 manual UJ will fit fine. you'll also need the MK3 manual UJ boot, or modify the old one then to finish off mk3 manual track rods, job done

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

part number for the RHD UJ lower part is 1H2419952, you can keep your old upper half and the link piece. though tbh you'll probably only find the complete UJ

edit: boot is 1H2419523, track rods are 1H0419803 and 1H0419804. though the actual rod isn't sided only the end, so if you have a good pair of rod ends you could get 2x left rods if that makes sense

4. Golf14 New Member

Thanks that's very helpful, i thought that was the case but was struggling to find the part numbers,

5. Golf14 New Member

If anyone has any of the above part i need could you let me know as I'm struggling to find them.