MK2 Refresh- Its Started :-)

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by Richard Mk2, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Very true Shaz :thumbup:

It just a case of finding a good detailer ?

2. smp1987 Forum Member

;) its a good read too

3. Richard Mk2

Cheers Sam :thumbup:

4. Richard Mk2

As promised, here is the like new carpet i collected from a fellow forum member today :thumbup:

[​IMG]

5. benthejettaman Forum Member

id take that rear light and see the extent of the rust, sorry put a downer on things but i think some that of rust will need cutting out and fresh meta putting in especially on the door and the around the light

6. Richard Mk2

I was thinking the same to. I'll whip the light off tomorrow and have a look :)

Door doesn't look too bad but I'm no expert. Will keep you all updated ;)

7. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I'd ask about on detailing world for a good detailer you can visit. If you insist on paint when my dad gets his beetle back see what you think and go to his guy in park royal. He done my mates saph cossie after a prang and he's sh*t hot.

8. Richard Mk2

I managed to get my hands on a New old stock genuine door mirror, which came in its original box :thumbup:

My passanger one keeps wobbling and shaking when driving, so will replace this with this one. Driver side has a new one to, which is only 2 years old and is mint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also got my hands on some replacement stickers for my RA centre caps -

[​IMG]

Ive got a few more bits and pieces on the way. :thumbup:

9. Blue MK2 Forum Member

A detailer wont be able to rescue that sadly. It needs a full paint!
    If you get the bits painted here and there you will notice the odd color match. Get that taken back to bare metal if you can and do it properly.

You could end up replacing that rear panel if its rusted down at the boot floor. My respray is not 100% and I want to have mine done again. Get it done right the first time bud! Tim at True Paintworks in Leicestershire does a very good job for the money.

Are going having a glass finish or oem orange peel finish? Also dibs on your 90 spec arches :thumbup:

10. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Im amazed, I thought your shell was mint Richard:(

I kinda feel bad about mine now, If you keep all the doors and bonnet closed the paint and panels are mint on the outside[:$]

11. Richard Mk2

Its a solid shell. No rust underneath thankfully and over all it good nick.

Rear light doesn't look too healthy though, and im dreading what i'll find when i take that rear quarter window out.

Im so gutted about the bonnet flying open, as everything was mint beforehand :(

Arches, as above are rust free, and rear lower panel which is great :)

It just needs a good respray with all the rust sorted out.

12. Richard Mk2

Definitely a full respray on the cards then :)

I dont think that rust goes all the way down to the boot floor, but will investigate further this week.

Basically what ever needs doing will be done. There is no way im getting rid of this one as the shell is solid. Just look at those arches and rear panel ;)

13. Andy947 Forum Addict

The arches don't look perffect, unless its just the pic, you can see rust along the actual arch lip on the rear arches?

That rear light rust looks nasty, thats a significant seam, and getting the rust out there will be very difficult.

14. Richard Mk2

:(

Do you think it will be repairable ?

Just noticed that rust to. Not that bad as ive seen far worse examples :)

15. foxyjay Forum Member

You will need to catch the rust spots asap and some are starting to look like "corrosion".

It's one of those cases where ignoring these bits will result in rotting.

I had same issues with mine. I replaced o/s door as there was a "tiny" bubble on lower face that ended up a 1" hole once i'd got back to solid metal.
    The n/s door was creased so also replaced that.
    o/s wing was corroded under the arch trim, and the n/s wing had a previous repair which was causing paint to craze.

For me, I will one day get a full respray but for now anything that needs attention *must* get it to avoid deeper damage.

Do not go thinking the car is a shed though by a longgggggggg stretch - it's very very presentable indeed :)

The corrosion around the rear 1/4 windows is typical and caused by the trim clips which are barbed spring steel that cut thru the paint when new and then damp gets in - hey presto tin worm can spread.

The paint colour will be almost impossible to get a good match due to age, and fading. The original paint is, as has been said, very good quality and likely better than modern stuff.

16. Richard Mk2

Cheers for the positive comments Foxy :thumbup:

I think i will get the rust sorted asap. Even if its unpainted for a while, atleast it will be sorted ready for paint.

I'm going to sorn the Mk2 off the road once the tax runs out at the end of the month. :(

Going to strip everything down and sort out the things i have just ignored in the past.

Its true about the paint. Original paint seems to last so long and still comes up great. My Mk2 currently has 200,000 miles on it, so its expected to have a few bits of rust here and there. I have been trying to find panels in the same paint code as mine (LA9V), and its near impossible :(

I did manage to source a door from a forum member a few years back, as the drivers door looked like this - :o

[​IMG]

17. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Cheers for this info bluemk2, just looked them up as I live in leicester and it turns out they are literally in the next village (result). I'll definately nip down for a quote.
    Have you been before or seen there work?

Doing my black mk2 up aswell rich, gonna sorn it soon. Just done all the suspension rebuild, now going to sort the bodywork out. Thought mine was mint as others on here did, but needs arches on drivers side an rear panel and a few other very small bits.

I'm going to do it properly and try and get genuine bits and will update my build thread when I can.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  18. Richard Mk2

Will keep an eye on yours to :thumbup:

Is yours LA9V by any chance ? Yours looks very similar to mine.

If you could, will you let us know what you get quoted by these guys. I could easliy get mine up to Leicester, as i have family up there.

Cheers mate :thumbup:

19. beetie

beetie Forum Member

Mine was la9v yes. But I had it resprayed around 8 years ago in lr9v as the paint was a better match, it's something like tarentella black and has a lot of flake pop. Was done pretty cheaply even though it looks okay, paying for it now though

A search on true paintworks shows they did the red mk2, think the reg is 'C4RBED'. So we all know they are going to be good and will be expensive. Suppose you get what you pay for. I'll let you know what they say

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  20. Richard Mk2

Im guessing that matching LA9V will proove hard! I did use this company on ebay for a stone chip kit - click me

That was a great match :)

Keep us posted on your resto/refresh :thumbup:

Ive been buying up parts all day today!!!