mk2 return!

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by The db, Feb 18, 2010.

1. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Right

I've had an itch that wont go away so I'm going to have to buy another mk2. Only criteria I have is it has to be a 16v from the get go, and it has to be rust free and in black, grey or green.:thumbup:

I'm going to go for something imacculate and store the car in my garage under cover for the next 2 years and will probably only do 1000 miles a year to a few shows and back on nice sunny days.

Plan is to start building a 180-190bhp 2.0 16v engine to stick in (ABF on K-Jet probably) and buy the engine bit by bit and rebuild it bit by bit.

I've seen the ideal car, but I can't make my mind up on it as its a 5 dr and not a 3dr. Does anybody know the weight difference?

2. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

go with a 3dr, it will only bug you later on. And get a grey one.... dont see many totally sorted grey mk2's :thumbup:

3. The db

The db Forum Junkie

My old valver was 3dr atlas grey (in sig). The one I've found is pearl grey. Engine rebuild, gearbox rebuild, split rims, coilover, full exhaust, full leather, elec all round, J plate - only negative is 2 extra doors.

I'm trying to decide if i want to go with a show spec car or a pacey beast. Money is not an issue (so to speak).

4. Willber Forum Member

I bought a 5 door because it was at the right price, I had the money and choice I would have bought a 3 door but this was one that I couldn't turn down really.

Im thinking of going along the same route engine wise, but my heart says VR6!

Going to keep mine really mint and original as possible.

Get it bought!!

5. The db

The db Forum Junkie

This is the car thats tempting me to part with my money and take a 5 dr!! Engine and gearbox rebuild in last 30k (not that im overly fussed about engine as i can build my own!) but its yum!

I'm only planning on using it for 3-4 months a year so I'm thinking I could put up with a 5 door....

[​IMG]

6. nealey Forum Junkie

Ive seen that car up for sale, looks an absolutely stunning example and i think if you want a minter you have to look past the fact its a 5 door. I always say buy the best body you can afford and if you have the money for this and dont mind spending it you cant go far wrong!

7. chrismc Forum Junkie

I think you really need to decide if you want something fast road or pretty?

Having owned both I can say they don't drive any different but the 3 door looks so much better!

I was bitten after seeing the oak green feature on fifth gear and deciding to do one myself.

For me the classic look such as your old car is perfect. I can tell you miss it!

2L power really does make such a positive difference too. Cheap, reliable, classic and pretty enough without any blingy additions

8. The db

The db Forum Junkie

I want something pretty - that goes fast - hahahah!

I've decided 5 doors are not an issue.

Chris - I loved my old car to bits - I love mk2's to bits!!!

2.0 16v power, with some refinements is plenty enough for me. If I can build up an engine (or even the current engine) to get to 180bhp it will go well.

9. 1550samn Forum Member

5 doors are usefull. nice car should be worth a buck or two in a few years if kept nice.

10. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Im a 3dr man when it comes to MK2's, but the one above looks great :thumbup:

11. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

5 doors rule. My first one was an accident, the second one was totally intentional though. It's nice to have something that isn't run of the mill.

12. Jay 16V Forum Member

3 doors for me, but when its that clean, i would put up with the extra two.

:thumbup:

13. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I learnt to love my 5 door Plus it only cost me 116 to buy. I think 5 doors look better oem-ish with G60 steels or basic BBS RMs but lets be hones looks wise 3 door wins hands down.

14. geordiegar Forum Member

That is cleeean man, go with your heart.