mk2 rev counter and mfa stopped working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by G60KG, Nov 16, 2010.

1. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

I have my dash fascia removed whilst doing some work and the rear demister switch touched some metal andthere were some sparks. Now I have lost mfa and rev counter, clock is still working. I have checked fuse 21 and it is fine. how badly have I screwed up this time?

2. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

you need to get the clocks out and look for any obvious damage to the circuit board

3. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

sounds about right, just tried the 30 second fuse pull but no joy, also noticed the handbrake light is out too so that has probably blown too. I am so f****ING ANNOYED WITH MYSELF [:x]

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are 2 fuses for the dash, check fuse #16. take a wild guess what fuse #16 also supplies ;)

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

ah ha! 'warning lights' totally ignored that when i read the fusebox guide last night. Yes 16 has blown thanks RJ

6. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

you can always rely on rubjonny.

7. Andy947 Forum Addict

Whats the problem when you have this fault but no blown fuse?

I one of my Mk2's has a dead MFA and Rev counter, but i swapped int he other cluster and it works fine.

I have read something about the voltage stabiliser or something, but can't find a lot of info about how to fix it.

8. rubjonny

this is how you test the voltage stabiliser, you find it round the back near the top passenger side of clocks screwed to a metal heatsink plate:
    To test the voltage stabiliser, connect a voltmeter between the terminals shown (see illustration) with a 12 volt supply to the remaining terminal. A constant voltage of 10 volts must be registered. If the voltage is above 10.5 volts or below 9.5 volts renew the voltage stabiliser.

[​IMG]

id also be checking the pcb traces carefully, make sure non have been damaged.

9. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

geek ;) :lol:

10. rubjonny

haynes copy/paste ;)

11. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

didnt realise haynes covered that much detail, then again I can't read anyway

12. rubjonny

sometimes its good, other times it pile o pap :lol:

13. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

rj - is there anything golf related that you don't know?

14. rubjonny

is my geek showing [:$]

15. ktuludays

ktuludays Forum Member

yes big time. i wish i knew as much as you do.

16. Hi rubjonny this is the exact same issue I have. I swapped out my voltage stabaliser for another one I have and the issue hasnt gone away. Any help would be great!

17. It has started working again but intermittently. Could this be a short ? I followed the red/black wire from the starter motor until it goes through the bulkhead should I be following any other wires?

18. rubjonny