Mk2 Scirocco 1.8 20vt with DTA ECU - Tacho/ Speedo questions

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by J66KE B, Oct 5, 2016.

1. J66KE B Forum Member

Still no luck with it -

I connect to the ECU, unlock the map, open General Engine Settings, press F4 to save after making the change to Tacho Pulses Per Rev, then I close the general engine settings window, lock the map and disconnect from the ECU. The rev counter still only displays half the RPM.

When I reconnect to the ECU, unlock the map again, then go into general engine settings the Tacho Pulses Per Rev has been automatically set back to 0 [:x]

2. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

Something's still not right.
    When you press F4, you should get a message asking if you want to update the settings. When you click Yes, the form should close.
    Does that happen?

Send me a copy of the map, and I'll update it here.

3. J66KE B Forum Member

I've just opened the DTA software and loaded the map offline, I made the setting and saved the map to file. I can then close the software and reopen, re-load the map that I just saved and the engine settings have been saved successfully this time!

So when I get home I'll connect to the ECU, unlock the map, open the map file I just saved, then lock the ECU? Hopefully this will work - Have I been going wrong by trying to edit the map in a 'live' state or something?

4. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

After you upload the map, power cycle the ECU. The E48 and P8 need this.

5. J66KE B Forum Member

Have tried all methods as instructed but it's still refusing to hold the settings.

The Tacho Pulses Per Rev setting isn't dependant on any other options being set/ boxes being checked is it? (e.g. should External Coil Amps be checked?) I'm only adjusting the Tach Pulses Per Rev setting as I don't want to mess with anything else.

[​IMG]

I'll try and download some screen capture software to make a video of exactly what I'm doing.

6. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

The only thing I can think of is the V30 of the firmware didn't allow that to be changed.

NEVER tick amplified coils if your coils are not amplified, you'll blow the coil drivers.

7. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

Once you have changed the "Tacho Pulses Per Rev" field you can press F4 I believe like sparrow said or what I usually do is just click the white X to close the "General engine setting" windows and it comes up with a message saying something like "do you want to save changes" and I click "yes".

Those setting should then be applied for the time being. If you want these to be permanent settings you then have to save the map by clicking Disc icon at the top (second one in). When I make changes I usually add a .1, .2 etc... to the file name (e.g. G297GUY.1, you may have to change from my method though as the name might be too long) so I keep the original map just in case, Then lock the map. Hopefully it will then be there when you open it next time if you haven't already being doing it like this already.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  8. J66KE B Forum Member

Thanks Sparrow. Just downloaded the latest FW from the website, v34, so I'll update it and try again.

Checked the E48 manual but doesn't cover updating the FW. Is it done through the DTAwin software?

9. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

No, you need an EEPROM reader/writer. Then you have to open the ECU, remove the EEPROM, flash it, and refit it.

10. J66KE B Forum Member

Ahh ok, haven't had to do this before but I'm familiar with what EEPROM is. Have found a USB EEPROM burner on ebay which covers a wide range of chips, I'll open up the ECU and check the model of chip to be sure. If it's covered should this one be suitable? - ebay link

11. sparrow Paid Member Paid Member

No idea, I've never used one of them before. toyotec might have some experience of them.

12. timotei1980 Paid Member Paid Member

I'm also running an E48 on version 30 fireware. I have tried to change my "tacho pulse Per Rev" field to see if it was a fault with your ECU or something and it doesn't work for me either.

sparrow likes this.
  13. J66KE B Forum Member

Thank you! That's a massive help :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've PM'd Adlai so hopefully he can help me out with the EEPROM firmware upgrade. Will keep this thread updated with results :)

14. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Hello.

Got the pm but was engaged with other non automotive other tasks.

Have used EEPROM/EPROM burners for OEM ECUs but never had to update the EXP48, except for changing the SDRAM inside.

15. J66KE B Forum Member

No worries, your time is demanded from us lot enough as it is!

Ok I'll remove the chip from the E48 tonight and make a note of the spec, then pick up a read/ writer from ebay and go from there. Will keep this thread updated :thumbup:

sparrow and Toyotec like this.
  16. J66KE B Forum Member

@sparrow Before I do this update can you confirm if the latest firmware for the E48 ECU (v34) incorporated the Tacho Pulses Per Rev setting?

17. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Has it been sorted Jake?

18. J66KE B Forum Member

No, far from it lol But I've got an update.

Opened the ECU yesterday to identify the chip model - It's an M27C256B-10F1 by STMicroelectronics. The chip type is a 27 series UV EPROM, meaning the cheap USB reader/writers I was originally looking at on ebay won't be suitable.

What I need is one of these - Not bad at all for that price so I've got one on order, you can get them for a tenner cheaper from a Chinese seller if you're happy to wait longer for delivery.

Also the thought of wiping the chip to an unusable state was scaring me so I decided to buy a second M27C256B to be the test dummy - Only 6 delivered, bargain :thumbup: ebay link here

Also for anyone who's interested here's a picture of inside the E48, the chip is towards the top right, it has a crystal in the middle...technology is awesome lol

[​IMG]

19. J66KE B Forum Member

Update (but still not quite there yet :()

I've now got the chip programmer from eBay, great bit of kit and really easy to set up and use! Put the new EEPROM chip in that I bought and flashed it with ECU firmware v34, success.

Thought I was on the home straight...until I opened the ECU again and tried to remove the old/ original EEPROM chip, it will not budge!

Would find it hard to believe if it was soldered in but I'm starting to think that might be the case. Have tried prising it out with a bit of force but don't want to brick the ECU (spent enough already trying to sort this!! 85..)

Can anyone help? I know it's a long shot..

Some more pics, not that they help lol..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

thats a socketed chip for sure, ideally see if you can find yourself a decent chip puller makes it so much easier to remove chips without bending the legs