Mk2 Scirocco 1.8 on K-jet running issues any ideas??

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by steve1990, Oct 15, 2012.

1. steve1990 Forum Member

hi guys...

basically my missus drives a mk2 rocco with the 1.8 k jet setup... its done alot of miles... i would imagine its nearly 160k (speedo cable is broken so not sure lol) so I'm not expecting to to run bang on... but basically she came home the other night a bit concerned because she said the car was revving high whilst sat still idling.

so i took it for a run... and from what I can see it runs on idle between 1.5 and 2k almost as if you are touching the throttle slightly so i fiddled with the cable in the bay as a few months back the metal slider clip that holds the cable to the top of the engine snapped where it was so rusty so replaced that and was OK, until now, so I made sure that wasn't tugging the cable too tight but that made no difference.

I tried a few times turning the car off and on again straight away and a few times it went back to idling normally so im sort of banging my head against a wall trying to figure out what to look at/change

A few weeks ago it did start to overheat but it hasn't done that for at least 4 weeks now so may have been low on water or something, also i noticed it does seem to be running rich and smells quite fuely. Another problem that seems to have developed is the exhaust is blowing but I wouldn't have thought that would effect the idling but correct me if im wrong! [:s]

Someone mentioned that the temp sensor in the flange coming off the head can sometimes become faulty and tell the car its running cold and make it run rich???

Is there anything I could try? Any help? I did try the search but kept telling me my answer for the question was wrong so sorry if this is a repost

Cheers in advanced :thumbup:

2. Joesoap Forum Member

Sounds like unmetered air
    Check vacuum pipes around inlet manifold and going to brake servo
    also check auxiliary air device below the inlet manifold drivers side :idea:

temp sensor in the flange coming off the head
    is the thermo time switch, don't really give any problems
    only for starting.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  3. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Flap in the metering head could be sticking?

4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Is it still idling too high, or back to normal? High idle is probably an air leak somewhere, but sometimes the idle screw in these can vibrate loose and 'self adjust' A smear of hylomar is the quick bodge to fix it... a new O ring on the idle adjuster screw is better (halfords or other motor factor).

If it was overheated, check the dipstick and filler cap for sludgy 'mayo', but hopefully the head gasket will be OK.

Metering head issues are possible, and check the connections at the metering head and the WUR for any signs of fuel seepage, but it's not a common problem unless it's been off and on. The metering heads don't normally stick unless the car's been stood unused for a while.

Unplug the electrics from the 5th injector (driver's side end of the inlet manifold) when the car's running and warmed up, and see if that changes anything.

5. steve1990 Forum Member

Excellent... thanks for the advice, gives me somewhere to start looking, I want to get it running nicely as I'm possibly selling the car soon and wouldn't want to stitch anyone if it was a serious problem

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Ahem, selling it? I expect a phone call!