MK2 seat rebuild

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by RichardDarrenB, Sep 10, 2023.

1. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Good day all

I have a 5 door front drivers seat that is tatty

I have a 3 door front passenger seat that is minty fresh

Assume and hope it is possible to transfer the passenger seat foams and material onto the drivers seat base - anyone have a handy how-to?

Many thanks

2. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Are they the same shape foams? As there was a change on early to later mk2s.
    I had the same issue earlier this year and stripping the seat was easy. Plenty of easy stuff on you tube. I cut all of the hog rings that hold the cover on as you will not reuse them. But decided my local trimmer would be better at getting my cover tight as it had delaminated from it's back covering
    Downside is that your 3 door cover will have a tilt mechanism cut out on the back panel. Not sure how you can get around that !!

3. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Yes they are both 90 spec.

Thanks, will have a look about on YouTube. I did think about the hole for the tilt but figured I could easily patch it up and being on the inside shouldnt be overly visible.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2023
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Used to swap metro seats about, for use in minis, even converted montego ones to fit 2 door spec.
    Can twist hog rings and reuse if want, or look at a simple bead looper pliers to make them.
    Could possibly 3d print a couple of blanking plates to go in lift handle hole, or can you swap backs passenger to drivers side and have the passenger one tip so you can put long stuff in the golf easier :)

RichardDarrenB likes this.
  5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I've done several, I didn't bother with Hog Rings, just used small cable ties!

6. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I've heard of a few people doing this, I'll strip one down and see what I'm up against.

7. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

I have changed the base and seat back materials over quite a few years ago iirc the seat base was easy, but the seat back was a pain in the arse.

8. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

If you are lucky you might be able to "weld" the hole for the tilt together. I guess you could get someone to do a smart repair but not sure how much that would be tho.

9. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I reckon I can make it look presentable, I have spare material of the black vinyl stuff.

10. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I see Ball Ache Thread potential here....

11. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Not too bad so far, got the scruffy driver's seat into two parts and took the base cloth and foam off in one go.

Hoping that the donor passenger seat base cloth and foam just drops straight on (can't think why it wouldn't at this juncture)

Backrest looks a little more involved but if I can get the base re assembled and looking right it will spur me on to tackle it.

20230916_090554.jpg 20230916_093017.jpg

12. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Base done, easy.

20230916_170802.jpg

Backrest stripped (foam and fabric off in one, going to refit the donor stuff in the same way)
    20230916_170750.jpg

Sorry about the crap pics, light isn't great in my cellar

Cressa likes this.
  13. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Oh. You managed to remove the material and foam without removing the plastic headrest guides! That was a PITA until I read about using a socket over the bottom of the guides.

14. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

I eased the material over the guides on the knackered one as not re using it, so I could see how it all came apart. Won't be doing that on the good donor cover tho. To get those out I tightened a cable tie round the tab things to compress them then slid them out. Read about the socket trick after the cable tie use! Same idea tho.

15. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Had to use the 16mm socket to compression the tabs when removing the headrest guides from the donor. Used the cable ties to get them past the 2nd stoppage on the outer frame like so:

20230917_093417.jpg 20230917_093604.jpg
    Replaced the hog rings with cable ties like so many before me:

20230917_094908.jpg

Backrest back together:

20230917_102940.jpg

And all re assembled.

20230917_104501.jpg
    20230917_104631.jpg
    20230917_093604.jpg
    20230917_104659.jpg

16. RichardDarrenB Paid Member Paid Member

Overall Costelometer* rating 6/10

*industry recognised standard of measuring the Ballache rating of a given task

Won't be re fitting just yet as got a headliner to do and that's much easier with no seats, will stick with my lightweight FIA approved milk crate for now

20230917_104848.jpg

Cressa and costel1969 like this.
  17. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent definition and explanation of said Ball Ache levels Richard. I shall be giving you a very high grade on this assignment.[:D]

18. watercooled Forum Member

I'am constantly surprised @ the construction of these seats ,seems there is a lot of variation from model and model years ,these seats are pretty easy to do compared to the overly complex Corrado ones I have which I have failed to find a way to remove the cover of the off the backrest so will leave that to my trimmer.
    Wished I hadn't pulled it apart as contacted my trimmer and he is only doing a few jobs on doctors orders as he was found to have a heart conditiion ,real shock as he is only 32yrs old poor bugger, I will wait till he recovers further as he work is the best I've ever seen.