Mk2 steering rack lock to lock ratio?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Admin, Apr 13, 2012.

1. mk2sp Forum Member

2. natureboy New Member

I was thinking about this today and realised the easiest way to do it, all that is needed to do is remove the pinion then remove the 4 pinion rings the replace everything else then just block the feed and return pipes. This would be alot easier as all that is involved is removing the circlip from the top the cap and nut from the bottom and the slipper then just use a parallel pump to bash the pinion out.

3. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Need a quicker rack in my Cordoba rally car. The front subframe looks very mk2 ish. Its got hydraulic assistance, but compared to my mk1 with Quaffe, its so slow.........

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

cordoba uses mk3 subframe with mk2 wishbones, so mk2/3 racks all fit :)

5. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

thanks, obvious question but does anybody (apart from quaiffe who only do lhd) do quick racks?

6. Admin Guest

Yes, but be prepared to pay through the nose, I cannot remember the name but there is a scandinavian company, last time I look their web page for the rack was in their nature tongue, I gave up trying to read it to find the rack for the mk2.

7. babbe Forum Member

www.sellholm.se

it costs 9500 swedish kronor

8. Admin Guest

Thanks for the link, that works out at over 1000! :o

9. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Does anyone know the exact difference between the rack and pinion used in the Mk1 compared with those used in the Mk2?

I have in mind the idea that it might be feasible to fit a set of Mk1 rack and pinion into a Mk2 casing with suitable rack bush and pinion bearing changes?

Than, the Mk1 quick rack from Quaif could be used!

I have a Mk2 rack I can strip. If someone can strip a Mk1 GTI rack and measure the important dimensions I would much appreciate it.

10. Admin Guest

I have a lhd mk1 rack laying around not doing a lot if you want me to strip that?

11. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

Ta Tom.

I have stripped the Mk2 rack and important dimensions are on sketch below.

[​IMG]

Can you check the corresponding dimensions for the Mk1 please.

Dave.

12. Admin Guest

I shall hunt mine down over the weekend and strip it then, out of interest how does a LHD rack differ? I know they won't fit in RHD casings, but why, what's stoping it?

13. Craigcorson

Craigcorson Forum Member

Hi

Would you be interested in a mk2 rhd manual quick rack

I'm trying to organize a group buy from quaife but I'm struggling for names

Cheers

Craig