MK2 Vr6 Conversion

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by welshwizzard88, Dec 13, 2010.

1. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

I am just starting my mk2 vr6 conversion i have the following:

Current car 90 spec 8 valve digi so CE2
    92 VR6 engine and Gear Box.
    Complete wiring loom from the mk3 the guy took everything out when he heard it was going into mk2 also i have the MK3 fuse box.
    I have subrame wishbones from the Mk3 including brakes however i am already running G60 brakes so will keep 4 stud as only purchased new discs allround a month ago as was going ABF.

I have the gear box and cable shift.

I may go 4 stud wide track i know its unusual.

Tomorrow i am picking up a Corrado vr6 crossmember.

I have a Corrado dash cut ready to fit so was thinking off using VR6 clocks as my VR6 has Dizzy not coil pack.

My Questions What mounts do i need to use standard vr6?

What radiator do i need bearing in mind i am using corrado crossmember?

What do i do about the cooling hoses?

Heater Matrix?

Wiring loom?

I will try to convert clutch to cable but were to get it from?

Throttle cabble what to use?

And finnaly whilst engine and gear box are split is there a guide on changong timming chain?

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1. cant use wishbones if you want to keep 4 stud, use MK3 4 stud ones instead. will need to switch VR outer cvs to 4 stud, or fit mk3 1.8-2.0 8v 4 stud ones. 4stud widetrack isn't unusual, all 4 stud mk3s rolled off the production line with it as standard ;)

2. use vr6 mounts all round, mk3 or corrado they're the same

3. corrado vr6 is ideal, but can get similar rad of some models of seat/passat diesel. basically needs to have rad hose ends on the passenger side for VR6 hoses. MK3 rads can be made to fit with some tweaks as well

4. most of the mk3 hoses will fit, the corrado vr rad hoses are the best fit for MK2 type rads. mk3 hoses will work ok with a mk3 rad i imagine?

5. use your std one, but I would replace it with a new MK3 one. MK2, 3 and Corrado all use the same shape matrix. the MK3 matrix has superceeded both the MK2 and Corrado one.

6. modify this to suit your car, the mk3 wiper loom is in the wrong place for a mk2, plus if its a later one the lighting loom will be included in the engien loom. i can mod this for you if you arnt happy doing it yourself :)

7. http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=107068

8. MK2 GTI I think fits right on?

3. welshwizzard88

welshwizzard88 Forum Member

Just to clarify if i want to go 4 stud wide track i need to use somehing like mk3 gti wishbones or can i use the vr6 wishbones i have.

I just got the corrrado vr6 crossmember.

I want to get everything blasted and powder coated so if i can use the vr6 Wishbones this will be easy for me.

Do the vr6 mounts need modding using the coraddo crossmember?

I think i may well take you up on doing the loom as your not to far away. The lighting loom is there but its an early vr6 from a 1992.

What do i need to do with dash with reggards to using vr6 clocks.

4. rubjonny

1. 5 stud have different geometry on the bearing carriers to 4 stud, mix n max will throws out the castor. so you either need to convert to 5 stud, or fit 4stud mk3 wishbones. other alternative is press 4 stud hubs into 5 stud carriers, but this makes discs tricky as you have to redrill them to suit. also if you fit MK3/corrado 5 stud bones you also need to fit the matching anti roll bar. though if you use passat 5 stud bones you can keep your old roll bar.

2. nope with Corrado VR front crossmember (the one under the radiator yes?) you can use all standard VR mounts. this is the whole reason you buy the corrado front member, otherwise you buy a modified front solid mount then use your std front member.

3. need to get the clock->fusebox loom to match the clocks, then add an ignition live feed to E/2 to power them up. std this feed comes from a jumper block above the fusebox on a MK3 which is dead easy to add. VR engine loom has all the other wires you need for the speedo sensor, just a case of adding 2 wires for the indicator warning lights to the headlight loom

5. G60KG

G60KG Forum Member

best to with a corrado rad, fan and rad hoses. Very neat fit. seat cable clutch thingy as mentioned above. I have this fitted on the mk2 VR and its perfectly fine. 1.3 mk2 throttle cable.

6. rubjonny

some passat/toledo use a similar fan setup, but pretty hard to find. mk3 rad can be modified to fit, but need to make up brackets. if you want the best oem fit tho its gotta be the corrado vr6 setup :)