Mk2 Wiper operation?.

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by KeithMac, Sep 9, 2023.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

He'll all, another stupid question!.

Are the MK2 wipers supposed to automatically stop at the bottom of the screen or do you manually switch them off there?.

On my Mk2 GTI I've just had all wiper frame lubed and I've fitted a 2nd hand motor to get them working (cars been stood 17 years).

When running the wipers and turning off via the switch it seems the just stop wherever you turn them off (this doesn't seem right to me but it's been that long since I last drove it I can't remember!.

Is there a procedure to "clock" the wiper motor to the wiper arm linkage?.

Does the wiper motor have position feedback?.

Will have another look tonight after work.

2. G60. Forum Member

Is the wiper relay not responsible for the parking the wipers at the bottom of the windscreen?

KeithMac likes this.
  3. G60. Forum Member

Should be relay 19 or 99 if you have a golf mk3 relay in there.

KeithMac likes this.
  4. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Yes they should stop at the bottom of the screen automatically, like any other car really.

KeithMac likes this.
  5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

How does it known where to park so I can narrow it down?.

6. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

It sounds to me as if you have your wires connected incorrectly. The relay controls the operation and park position. I think you need to go back and start again with a wiring diagram.

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I had another look today, the Wipers Park at random points with the wash/wipe function pulled and stop wherever they are when I click the stalk to OFF. My old motor does the same too.

All the wiring is OK so I'm going to try a new relay 19, relay 18 is also involved with front wipers.

Is the MK3 99 relay an upgrade over the 19?.

Cheers all.

20230910_111351.jpg 20230910_111406.jpg 20230910_113030.jpg

8. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Is there a switch inside the actual motor gearbox, on old minis there is a park ramp on the gear that operates a switch when reaches Park position, that's why there's more wires than just earth, speed 1 and 2, the 4th is for park.
    The switches gum up, or burn out on the lucas ones, and they used to have more points on the gear to position the ramp for left or right park.

I thought the relay just controlled the intermittent wipe, 19 standard delay, 99 programmable (although I never got my to consciously work in that way, probably operater error) it's more of a timer trigger, to start cycle, park switch on motor tells where to stop.
    It's a clever set up, but there's a lot of contacts within the system, motor, relay and the actual stalk.

Off on a tangent, but I think on the ce1 stalk if its a base model without single wipe, you can remove the white plastic wedge from the switch and get the push downwards action for single wipe.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    KeithMac likes this.
  9. davidut5 Forum Member

The park position is set in the motor, remove the metal cover and see if the contacts look good. I replaced mine just for this reason, went for a mk3 motor i had laying around.

KeithMac likes this.
  10. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I had the multimeter on it and the middle pin is ground most of a rotation then open circuit. Presumably this is seen by the intermittent wash wipe relay?.

Both motors do exactly the same thing.

Haynes wiring diagram isn't the best to read either but I'll have to go through it all.

It's a MK2 16v.

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Well I could go into how the Park Function is wired into an intermittent wiper relayed MK2 Golf if anyone is interested?.

Be all and end all it was a failure of the N/C connections on the Intermittent Wiper Realy 19.

I don't like firing the parts cannon and the original motor sounds horrendous so was worth changing anyway but was a godsend for fault finding (with no load on it).

So relay 19 has a fundamental part in the Parking, if you remove it you need to bridge 53M and 53S..

VW have made a simple system a bit more complicated.

12. G60. Forum Member

Glad you got it sorted. So the relay was replaced or it was a dry solder that needed resoldering?

KeithMac likes this.
  13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I have a new relay on the way, I cleaned the NC contacts but decided a new relay was most reliable way.

The Intermittent is just a series of timed outputs, once it's finished (could be at any part of the sweep) it hands back control voltage to the Park side of the wiper motor.

When the Intermittent relay is active it brakes the supply to the Park contacts.