MK3 1.6GT Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Doddsy, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Doddsy Forum Member

I've been asked what I think of MK3 1.6 GT advertised on ebay...

I've no experience of MK3's and would very much appreciate some advice.

The car has very little info with it so I shall be contacting the seller to ask up on it. The car is LHD, 1996 5 door model as it's required to go to Spain to save rental car costs each time they go over.

registered in the UK 01 May 2001.

66,000 miles

Safety Features
    Airbag Driver, Anti-Lock Brakes (ABS), Immobiliser, Rear seat belts
    Exterior Features
    Alloy Wheels
    Interior/Comfort
    Air Conditioning, Central Locking, Electric Windows, Power Steering, Tilt Steering Wheel

Price 2490

It seems a lot to pay but if it's in good condition would this be about right?

Also what work would a car of this age and milage have required so? Cambelt every 50,000?

What are the weak spots / areas to check on these models?

Thanks in advance and all advice will be much appreciated. [:D]

2. nealey Forum Junkie

That is steep for a LHD 1.6 mk3, i would be looking for something else about 1500 cheaper!

3. Doddsy Forum Member

Yes I thought so too, I take it the GT version aint nothing special either?

4. Doddsy Forum Member

Right - it's obvious that there's a big hike on LHD cars so that's why it's 1500 more than you'd expect. This will leave a little room for discussion on agreed price.

I need some info on what to look for when checking up on the quality of a MK3. Come on lads lets hear of common problems etc.

5. mk3anniversary Forum Member

Big hike on LHD???

Since when???

I had a LHD Mk1 convertible, paid pence for it, sold it for pence.

LHD are worthless in this country.

6. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Depends, people sell them to Polish because it's still cheaper than buying a car at home for them.

7. James_mk2 Forum Member

I know early Mk3's enjoy rusting almost as much as body roll, especially the sills and rear arches, at least the UK ones do i can't see any others being more/less protected. Not sure if they sorted this for the later models though?

I believe GT on the continent is "driver" spec over here so basically a GTI in terms of trim and options but with the smaller engines.

I'd say that was pretty expensive considering you can get Mk4's for that money now, but if it's immaculate and convenient then it could be a good buy once you've bartered a little off the asking price.

8. Jaundice

Jaundice Forum Member

MK3's love to rust, ABS sensors fail, body work goes rusty, the adjusters in the headlights snap so the reflectors fall loose, they rust round the arches, apart from that they're pretty bomb proof.

2490 for a LHD is way overpriced though even with that mileage you could buy a 16v for 1k less than that