Mk3 1.8t Conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by Captain Oates, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Captain Oates Forum Member

Bit of advice please, if you were buying a mk3 project car for the above swap, which one would be easiest/cheapest to do the swap on, the 8v, 16v or VR6.

Just trying to cost it out and depends on what base I use as to when I could make a start

2. Seizure Forum Member

8v I would imagine. Chances are you'd upgrade things like suspension and brakes anyway.

Really depends on what price you can buy them for and what you can flog from them and for how much.

3. Captain Oates Forum Member

If it doesn't make any difference then, I think i'll get an early 8v converted.

4. steved Forum Member

Yup but I've got a late mk3 these came with 280mm discs.

5. prof Forum Addict

early mk3 gti=280s late =288s

6. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

8v has a rod change box and cable clutch.
    16v would be best, you could use the cbale gearbox and the clocks, fuel pump etc.

Or you could just buy a VR6 and leave the Vr6 in it! :p

7. g60 pb Forum Member

Or by a VR6, rip it all out and sell the bits ;)

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

It would be worth it, you'd only make a few hunderd quid more than selling the 16v stuff, but you'd pay 1000's more for the car in the first place.

9. g60 pb Forum Member

how much are mk3 valvers going for? not exactly as common as VR6's either....you can get a decent VR for 3k...especially for a project...

10. steved Forum Member

The MK3 has a cover plate where you put the cylinder for the clutch remove this and hey presto no hole to drill add one tdi clutch pedal job done, It took me half hour to do mine + 20mins to put the gear linkage in as for the brakes i've got a 95 golf ex 8v with 280mm discs. The engine took a weekend to fit including the plumbing not wiring.

11. Dave-in-Herts Forum Member

Paid 3200 for my 16v, bargain ;)

> Steved, who did your 1.8T conv, how much did it cost and what power are you pushing out? Thanks.

12. steved Forum Member

I paid 2400 for my 95 8v gti. The conversion was all done by myself, It took about a weekend to fit + wiring, I'm using an AGU enging ex 150bhp now 210 and rising. Total cost including ecu and custom front intercooler 2k

13. VDubChap Forum Member

Steved: a mate of mine is looking to do the same conversion as yours, what we are keen to find out is what exactly did you have to change/modify on the existing car, and also what did you have to transfer over to make the new engine fit, did you transfer the subframe over? and what about driveshafts etc and also all the fluid bottles and stuff, any help would be appreciated cheers.

14. tomasz Forum Member

hi steve.is it dificult to change all wiring loom,ecu,etc?
    i`ve got mk3 gti 8v and i`m thinking of swaping for 16v engine.a can swap all engine but dont know anything about wiring.please let me know and if you know how mutch will cost to change all wirings? ;)

15. steved Forum Member

Sorry for the delay in replying but my machine has been off line, I'm on my work computer at the moment so i cant go through it, I should be back to normal in a couple of days. [:^(]

This car is for sale. And is cheaper than doing or getting the conversion done yourself. I know this is not the classifieds.