Mk3 1.8t gearbox Questions, please help guys!!

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by Jja081196, Nov 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Jja081196 New Member

Hi Guys,

New here!!

I'm in the process of gathering the parts needed for my mk3 agu 1.8t conversion.

I just have a question about which gearbox to use, I have read extensively about using an 02a gearbox which is nice an easy but people claim the 02J from the mk4 agu engine will fit using the same ABF mounts that are used for the 02A.

Although it's unclear whether the 02J will work or not, also will I have to use the same shifter and cables from the 02A box or can i use the shifter and cables from the later 02J gearbox??

And if I am able to go with an 02J where do I stand on using the 16v pedal box or would the corrado pedal box fit?

if anyone could shine some light on this it would be great!

Thanks!

Jake

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

02a and 02j are basically the same, slight differences inside and the shifter tower on top is different. you can fit an 02a shifter to an 02j and vice versa so it makes no difference what you go for. it is generally recommended that you swap to the later 02j shifter setup while you're doing it, as it is a slightly better design and nicer gearshift feel

for the pedal box side it makes no difference, use the mk3 16v/vr6/tdi hydro clutch master, slave and pipe on your existing pedal box (all mk3 use the same pedal box regardless of what clutch setup it has) hooked up to either an 02a or 02j box :thumbup:

for the brake fluid reservoir you may need to change it, but check first often they have the hydro take-off on there just with the end capped off, snip the end and job done :)

3. Jja081196 New Member

Hi John,

Thanks for your input, from what I've read in other threads that you've commented on you seem to know alot, is it possible that I could keep you in mind should I have any more problems? Again, thank you for your reply, means my shopping list just got shorter as I may just buy a complete mk4 donor!! And I can use the stronger box! Awesome!!

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

there are lots of knowledgeable guys on here, I am just online most of the week during the day so can get in there first :lol:

5. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Jake welcome to the forum.

The 02A/02J and 02S (6sp) are no stronger than each other from experience.
    For 5speed boxes, 02A/02J, there are some revisions inside, but for what you are doing you can use either code. Bear in mind, the 16v boxes will bolt to the block but not tie up with the sump pan of a 1.8T EA113 motor
    Mk3 cable shifters are not as robust as the later Mk4 offerings for some 02J gearboxes. This is why folk run the later cables and connections.
    I also know, the MK3 16v gearbox aka code DPA or CDA, have similar gear spacing and even FDR as some of the 1.8T gearboxes.
    Keep in mind the type of wheels you plan to use on the converted vehicle and chose a gearbox that gives ~ 3000-3500rpm at 70 mph, 5th on a cruise but still a lot of torque multiplication for the lower gears for rapid acceleration.

6. Jja081196 New Member

Hi Toyotec,

I think between yours and johns comments I have made my decision and have chosen to go with the 02J, this way I won't have the sump problem and also I will be able to grab a whole donor mk4 instead of shopping around separately for 02A parts, whilst I'm at it I will aim to buy a later one so I know the shifter is the more robust one,

Thanks Guys!!

Jake