MK3 16v GTi seems sluggish

Discussion in '16-valve' started by nickh89GTi, Mar 17, 2009.

1. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Yeah i replaced all the vac pipes when i first got the car as they had all seen better days.

2. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Another thought. Have you checked the condition of the wires behind the inlet. Mine were burnt and possibly shorting out.

3. nickh89GTi Forum Member

the wires to the switch on the throttle body had melted on mine so i replaced the lengths of wire which were burn't but can't remember checking the wires to the throttle pot. Could you have a look at your battery for me and give me the amperage/hour or whatever is written on them as i have seen on ebay some 16v's and all their batteries are bigger than the one in mine at the moment.

Cheers

Nick

4. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi chaps,

I am still no closer to finding the cause of this hesitation which is quite annoying. Was looking over the car at the weekend and have found traces of oil in the dizzy cap and all over the hall sensor so i guess the seal on the dizzy has gone, could this cause the hesitation described.

I also need to replace the rocker cover gasket as this seems to be causing quite a mess done the side and back of the head. Is it better to get the rocker cover gasket set from GSF?

Cheers :thumbup:

Nick

5. azur Forum Member

just got mine from VW ... 19.32 + VAT

GSF valve cover set seems to be 17.50 + VAT

have you cleaned you injectors? sometimes they cause faultly running.

My random misfire (@ 2800 rpm and clear by 3200 rpm... no sign of it at WOT) comes from a faulty fusebox via the ECU relay which controls injector timing... ecu relay was brand new

Asked how much a fusebox was new from VW and they quoted 220 quid! ... so thats out the window. Gaffer tape holds the relay and prongs in position now untill i am adventurous enough to open it up. I can recreate my misfire and video it if you like... see if its similar to yours.

can't remember if you said you have used VAGCOM but this fault doesn't show up on it.

You replaced your fuel filter? could be choked.

Vac pipes are usually the prime suspect but it seems you have definately checked all these...
    mine had nearly rotted through where the ecu one passes through the bulkhead... couldn't see it untill you removed the whole pipe....

EDIT: Whoops, just read from page 1 and seems i have been repeating myself... probably a few to many beers in me[:$]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  6. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Hi azur thanks for your reply mate,

No fault codes are registered on VAGCOM, the fuel filter is new, have run some injector cleaner through the system but i haven't taken the injectors out to give/send them off to be cleaned properly and all vac pipes are new.

Would you be able to recreate your misfire and video it so i can see if its similar to mine.

Cheers

Nick

7. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

There are two types of rocker cover depending on year. i have an early one going if you need it. Starting with part number starting 027 later one are 051 i think. Its a ***** fault finding on these. [:x] I changed everything and each time it got a bit better until the coil which was the final piece of the puzzle. FPR was also changed which was noticable as the fuel pump got a bit louder too.

8. nickh89GTi Forum Member

I know what you mean mate it's becoming a right PITA. I've got a 96 P reg so i guess that'll be the later type. I've also done my FPR and have tried a different coil aswell, but i haven't tried the other coil i have spare with the new HT leads i put on. May well be worth a try.

Would the oil in the dizzy cause any problems ie. mess with the signal from the hall sender?

9. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

Possibility. if its in the cap, it could afect the spark. Have you cleaned up the contacts and checked condition of the rotor arm? Don't know what the hall is for, maybe a cam position sensor?? If you have a multimeter it may be worth comparing readings on the coil resistance. Even new ones can have faulty readings.

10. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Rotor Arm and Cap are both new, changed them when i first bought the car and done a service. Yeah i think thats the jist of the hall sensor mate.

11. azur Forum Member

[​IMG]

You might need headphones and the sound right up to hear it.... its pretty crap

the car actually judders which you can't really appreciate with the video.. you can hear the exhaust heat shield vibrating though

starts @ 2500 - 3000 rpm and then is gone... fixed by moving the ecu relay

12. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Thanks for the video of how yours behaves azur. Mine seems fine when it is revved it only happens when it is under load.

Took my sparks out at the weekend, they were black and sooty but i don't know if that is just from moving the car onto the drive as don't they run rich when they are cold?

Cheers

Nick

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they should not be black. they should be a cappuccino colour... you still haz problems

14. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Yes Matt still having zee problems. Running out of ideas now. [:^(]

15. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Plugged VAGCOM into the car again last night and there are no fault codes present in the ECU, also check the immobiliser system and there is no faults with that either. I have run out of things to check/test now.

Anybody have any ideas as to why it would be running rich (sooty plugs), I have a feeling that the exhaust is leaking at the downpipe/cat joint, could this be letting air into the exhaust system causing the lambda to read a lean condition and therefore tells ECU to richen the mixture?

Cheers for all your help so far guys

Nick

16. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

what does vagcom say the lambda figures are?

17. tshirt2k

tshirt2k Forum Junkie

I doubt it would be that.. Unless its noisy. Had sinilar problems to you for ages apart from plugs werent that sooty.

Have you got a list of all the things you've changed?

18. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

whats the chances your cam timing is out? (i suppose vagcom would have a list of timing faults)

19. nickh89GTi Forum Member

@Matt - Where in VAGCOM would i find the lambda figures? Will have a look again tonight if you can let me know where they can be found in the measuring blocks.

@tshirt2k - I have changed the following:

- Service including oil, oil filter, air filter, fuel filter, plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, vac hoses, cleaned out throttle body and ISV.
    - ECU Temp Sensor
    - IAT Sensor
    - Tried different coil
    - FPR
    - Lambda sensor
    - Knock sensors (both were showing in VAGCOM as being faulty)

Exhaust is noisy/rattles when cold but gets a bit quieter once warmed up.

20. nickh89GTi Forum Member

Not had time to check the cam timing yet matt, the belt was replaced at 109000 now on 122000 so it is definitely worth checking.